sdl3 as stand alone data logger, no ecu, how to?

Discussion and support for current Advanced Dash Loggers, Sport Dash Loggers and Club dash loggers

sdl3 as stand alone data logger, no ecu, how to?

Postby spracing on Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:06 am

hallo
i would like to use the sdl3 as datalogger without being conected to the ecu as our drag car runs on
carburator please inform me if it is possible and what sensors i need for
4 pyrometers
2 head temp sensors
oil temperature
intake temperature
oil press
boost presure
3 speed sensors clutch engine wheels
note that the car is a 67 beetle and it runs 9.9sec.at 227kmh.

thanks in advance
dimitrios
spracing

Re: sdl3 as stand alone data logger, no ecu, how to?

Postby OmarK on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Hi Dimitrios,

The SDL3 will be well suited running standalone with the sensors you have mentioned. If you take a look at the MoTeC catalogue here http://www.motec.com.au/downloads/catalogue/

You will be able to find the sensors you are looking for.

Note that the pyrometers or thermocouples will need a thermocouple amplifier to install them into AV inputs in the SDL3.
OmarK

Postby spracing on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:58 pm

Hello OmarK

thanks a lot for your input, I had some time searching on the motec catalogue, I found sensors and the amplifiers you mentioned, but still some questions, I see on the catalogue advertised the 29214 option for 8Mb logging, I have necessarily to buy this option or the sdl3 comes ready with the option for logging? I thought this was an expansion of memmory lets say? What I have got and still in the box is the sdl3 back lit version, so the basic model. Does the same situation stands also for the lamda? I need to get the 29202 option?

If this is tha case, I have also an M400 still basic model. Will be eventually cheaper to upgrade the m400 for logging and lamda or is it the same cost? In this case I could use the sdl3 only as a dash, please let me hear your opinion

Friendly

Dimitrios
spracing

Postby Holmz on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:49 pm

You could get the standalone Lambda and I think that gan be ingested into the datalogger.
Cost in not an advantage of the standalone... But one advantage is that it can be moved around easier than having the lambda done as an ECU upgrade. Particularly if you only need to do lambda initially and need to do that on multiple engines.

You would need something for spark to get RPM - but if you have GPS or accelerometers, or wheel speed sensors then would know where you are on the track (Which can be somewhat correlated with RPM).

Do you need 8-MB logging?
(The drags are pretty short in time duration.)
Holmz

Postby OmarK on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:27 pm

The SDL3 can be bought as a display only and then the 16MB and 120MB logging upgrades can be purchased later. If you are unsure of what you purchased let me know the serial number of the SDL3 which is found on a barcode sticker on the back of the dash. This also applies to the M400 as well.

In terms of cost of the lambda and logging upgrades it is best to speak to the dealer who you purchased the SDL3 and M400.
OmarK

Postby spracing on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:28 am

Hello

thanks a lot for your inputs, higly appreciated, so I have to check with my dealer about prices for the upgrades, cheers and thanks

Friendly

Dimitrios
spracing

Postby Holmz on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Have you calculated how long you could log those 13 channels at 1000-Hz?
Holmz

Postby spracing on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:57 pm

Hello after long time

we got prices from the dealers, gathering all the costs together with sensors labour etc makes it hard for us at this specific period of time to cope with, we'll have to race for another season the cheap way -please don't lough- wide vision camera on all gauges to have at least the vital info, we have to wait until next season for that system. Thanks you all for your inputs, are higly helpful and appreciated,

Friendly

Dimitrios
spracing

Postby Holmz on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:05 am

spracing wrote:Hello after long time

we got prices from the dealers, gathering all the costs together with sensors labour etc makes it hard for us at this specific period of time to cope with, we'll have to race for another season the cheap way -please don't lough- wide vision camera on all gauges to have at least the vital info, we have to wait until next season for that system. Thanks you all for your inputs, are higly helpful and appreciated,

Friendly

Dimitrios

Dimitrios,

With video you are limited to 25Hz or 30Hz rates...
Likely less if you are looking at it with your eyes post-facto.

For a drag car which does only seconds of a run that is not a lot of data.
Even if you log the whole time you are staging it is still not a lot, unless you are logging at a tremendous rate.

Back to my post on 21-August...
You might be well advised to do the math(s).
13 channels X 1000Hz/channel = 13k samples/second
multiply that by ~15 minutes and you get 13 M samples.
Even at 4 bytes/sample you still have <64M of data.

And really the sampling probably could be 10-Hz for some of it or 100-Hz, so you would be in the range of just a few MB.
Maybe 10-Hz for pressure and temp sensors, and 100-Hz for RPM and clutch, and 1000-Hz for the wheel sensor

Sure someone will sell you a 1GB logger, or some logging upgrade... but do you really need it?
There is already enough work getting the sensors wired in to get a start on it.
Your results may vary.
Holmz

Postby spracing on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:15 am

O.K. Holmz

good point and analysis, in the summary, what can I do to see those data? I really need those 15secs logged somehow as I can't have all the data in the same moment for analysis, has motec something specific for our application?

Friendly

Dimitrios
spracing

Next

Return to ADL3, SDL3 and CDL3