Global or user maths?

Discussion and support for current Advanced Dash Loggers, Sport Dash Loggers and Club dash loggers

Global or user maths?

Postby zillarob on Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Do we have maths that stick with a particular dash s/n-wise?
I look after a few cars with adl3's. We use drive shaft speed to get wheel speed.
I am trying to figure the best way to keep track of something like a gear change without affecting things globally.
Is this something that should be kept as a constant in the dash config for i2 to use?
Or does i2 have math/constants that it will use for different dashes?

From what I can find in the destructions, global is global, and local is only for one particular data file.
zillarob

Re: Global or user maths?

Postby zillarob on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:15 pm

Crickets?

Sounds like the setup sheets will do something like this. We use multiple pc's and would rather have the numbers embedded in the data. Have to enter the data somewhere anyway so this will save keeping all the setup sheets updated and synced between the different pc's. Should also eliminate the possibility of using incorrect setup sheets without realizing When viewing on the different pc's.

I am going with storing the constants on the dash and logging at 1hz. The adl3 is not a prob but we run adl2 also and they have no provision for constants. Can easily monkey with channel maths and make this happen, bit trickier if you have decimals.

Will setup 2 sets of constants, maths, and layouts. Basically constants_ADL, constants_i2, maths_ADL, maths_i2, layout_ADL, and layout_i2.

The maths_ADL will be based on the constants_adl stored on the dash. They will be viewed with layout_ADL in i2 and be used a majority of the time.

The maths_i2 will be based on the constants_i2 stored in i2 and will be viewed with layouts_i2. This is just a contingency plan to allow manual entry of the constants should the ones on the dash be incorrect. Don't plan on having to use the _i2 stuff, but you guys know how that goes, lol!
zillarob

Postby JamieA on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:56 am

sorry about the delay in replying, we have been a but short of staff in operations for a few weeks...

anyhow, What you are trying to do makes sense, but I dont have a great answer for you. Your suggestions basically cover your options.

If you want it stored in the dash, you can use:
*the vehicle details in the details editor if there is an appropriate detail that you can use
*Constants
*Maths

If you are happy enough to do it after the fact (probably less preferable), you can use
*Setup sheets, these work very well if you get into the habbit of using them. the way that they look at the date of the logged file, and the date of the row in the setup sheet to find the right value works very well.
*i2 Details (there is now a new 'Custom details' section to add your own specific details, plus the pre-defined stuff)
*Local maths, so that the values are log file specific...

regards,

Jamie
JamieA

Postby zillarob on Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Thank you Jamie!

I think the constants are the way to go in my application.

I did find the constants in ADL2, they were just in a different place. (what can I say, 3 months new to Motec. lol)
zillarob

Return to ADL3, SDL3 and CDL3