Display Update Speed

Discussion and support for current Advanced Dash Loggers, Sport Dash Loggers and Club dash loggers

Re: Display Update Speed

Postby Holmz on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:14 pm

jcorsico wrote:Jamie - to provide more color (to the extent the designers find it persuasive! ;) ), the slow update speed makes it quite difficult to determine the rate of change of a measured figure.

A slow update speed makes it easy to read a specific figure - i.e., wheelspeed is "96". But very hard to determine whether or not the wheelspeed is going up or down, and how quickly it's going up or down.

Thanks again,
Jon

The visual cortex can only process ~10 frames a second, so we may have an upper limit on the update value.
I cannot imagine anything that needs to update that fast as decision making is probably longer than 1/3 of second.
Holmz

Postby jcorsico on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:08 am

The visual cortex can only process ~10 frames a second, so we may have an upper limit on the update value.
I cannot imagine anything that needs to update that fast as decision making is probably longer than 1/3 of second.

Hm? Not sure I understand this. If this statement were true, every movie, TV show, video game, etc, would have a frame rate of only 10 frames per second. But that's clearly not the case. Movies are shot at 24 frames per second, and look a bit jerky as a result. Video is typically 30 frames per second and look smoother.

If you talk to the video game guys, people spend tons of money on their computers to get the frames per second up above 50 frames per second, because that's where the game is the smoothest to the eye.

People want to record HD video at 1080p at 60 frames per second, because that's what looks the best.

The frame rate matters enourmously to how something looks. Three frames per second looks slow and jerky.

Regards,
Jon
jcorsico

Postby Holmz on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:59 pm

jcorsico wrote:

Hm? Not sure I understand this. If this statement were true, every movie, TV show, video game, etc, would have a frame rate of only 10 frames per second. But that's clearly not the case. Movies are shot at 24 frames per second, and look a bit jerky as a result. Video is typically 30 frames per second and look smoother.

If you talk to the video game guys, people spend tons of money on their computers to get the frames per second up above 50 frames per second, because that's where the game is the smoothest to the eye.

People want to record HD video at 1080p at 60 frames per second, because that's what looks the best.

The frame rate matters enourmously to how something looks. Three frames per second looks slow and jerky.

Regards,
Jon

If you turn the video rate down while looking at a still picture - then you will see flashing around 10-Hz.

"Update rate" and "video rate" are not the same.
If you have a movie then yes you will see jerking and the wheels going the wrong way differently at different video rates.
What is changing that fast? Not the fuel level or oil pressure or water temp.
Maybe the RPM and that looks OK.

When I fill up at the bowser I cannot make sense of the cents, nor the 10c values. Yes I can see the blur, but it is only the dollars that I can really seem to comprehend and that is the only way I know if the blur is increasing or decreasing. I recall it being easier when I was younger so maybe I am getting old.

Again "Update rate" and "video rate" are not the same.
I doubt that a higher update rate would result in any real gain - does the (LCD ?) display even flicker due to video rate?
I doubt it is anything like a CRT, and it probably has little in common with a gaming computer which is actually flashing.
Holmz

Postby jcorsico on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:51 am

Holmz - I was really just trying to make two points:

1) With the slow update rate, it's very difficult to determine the rate of change of a figure. When the display updates slower than the underlying figure (good examples are RPM, time and tire surface temp), this becomes a real issue, as you cannot glance at the display and easily determine whether the figure is going up or down and how quickly it's going up or down. Rather than relying the on the "blur" of the digits, you instead have to watch several cycles of the information and then compute in your head the difference between the figures to determine a rate of change. I find it quite cumbersome.

2) Personally, I just don't like the way it looks. This is a stylistic/image concern. It's the dash on a race car - race cars are fast - drivers make quick decisions - the dash should look and feel just as fast. With the slow update speed, it feels like the dash can't keep up, or is old technology, or whatever.

Regards,
Jon
jcorsico

Postby JamieA on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:21 am

Considering the dash is able to log at 1000hz, screen update rate it is not a processor issue. It was a product decision at the time.

I have just talked to the developer some more. He said that 3hz is not the limit of the display, if you look at the bar graph, it is much faster than 3hz. It was decided based on the ability for a human eye to read, and interpret the number.

I do understand your opinion on this, and that you would like it increased in speed, but my discussion with him was that although it is easy to do (a new firmware would be required) he would not like to have to create and maintain a special version of dash firmware for one applicaion, and doesnt think that there is enough justification to push that sort of change into all products.

Just for your info, Our new colour displays are using a new method to determine refresh rate which I expect will end up with a variable refresh rate on the numeric values.

regards,

-Jamie
JamieA

Postby Holmz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:08 pm

JamieA wrote:...
Just for your info, Our new colour displays are using a new method to determine refresh rate which I expect will end up with a variable refresh rate on the numeric values.

hmmm- When is that out?
Is that similar to the Magnet Marrelli TFT?
Holmz

Postby jcorsico on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:56 am

Awesome!!! A color display would be spectacular. In the age of I-Pads, Android phones, and even LCDs in the back of seats on aircraft, it always seemed that dash displays (from all the major manufacturers - not specific to Motec) were behind the curve.

Jon
jcorsico

Postby jcorsico on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:52 am

JamieA wrote:Just for your info, Our new colour displays are using a new method to determine refresh rate which I expect will end up with a variable refresh rate on the numeric values

Jamie - did the new color displays end up with a variable refresh rate? I see they are now available.

Thanks,
Jon
jcorsico

Previous

Return to ADL3, SDL3 and CDL3