Display Update Speed

Discussion and support for current Advanced Dash Loggers, Sport Dash Loggers and Club dash loggers

Display Update Speed

Postby jcorsico on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi -

Is there any way to adjust the update speed of the ADL3 dash? I'm not talking about how fast it logs data, but rather how fast the numbers on the display itself actually update.

I have a system from PI right now, and the numbers on the dash update very fast - I don't know the exact rate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were 10-15 Hz. In looking at video clips of the ADL3, the numbers seem to update much slower - like 2-3 Hz.
Thanks
Jon Corsico
jcorsico

Re: Display Update Speed

Postby JamieA on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:16 am

I am just trying to find the actual specs of the display refresh rate, but I believe it is around 50hz. (at present I havent found the details) But it is certainly faster than you have suggested, and fast enough to be smooth to the eye.

The determining factor for how often you see the update on the display is more likely to be the source of the channel, or a filter on the display. If you go into the display setup, you can configure a filter value that can slow down the update of that channel to the display, this is useful for things like fuel level, to stop it bouncing around too heavily.

So, I would suggest that you go and look at your source of wheel speed, rather than the display itself.

perhaps log your wheel speed input at 100hz, and look at the upadate of the values in the logging to confirm the channels update rate. The dash can recieve at up to 1000hz, so we can recieve far faster than the display needs.

regards,

Jamie
JamieA

Postby jcorsico on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Jamie -

Thanks very much. That's quite helpful information.

I don't own an ADL3. Instead, I am thinking of buying one, and was simply looking at videos of their operation on YouTube. Primarily, I was looking at the below video. As you'll see, the numbers (not the bar graph - but the actual numbers) appear to update pretty slowly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsVFU_8o18U

I have a Pi X-Sport now, which updates quite a bit faster. I also looked at a PI Omega, and it seemed snappier too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMmAOBQc ... re=related

Thanks again,
Jon
jcorsico

Postby JamieA on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:26 pm

As mentioned, our inputs can be recieved at up to 5000hz.

we can display them far faster than that video shows. His speed may be the input type, input speed, or display filtering.

I can send you a vid of fast updating values if you would like..

regards,

Jamie
JamieA

Postby jcorsico on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:25 am

Jame - a video of the displays in action would be great. Looking at the static photos is helpful, but there's nothing like actually seeing it come to life.

Thanks again,
Jon
jcorsico

Postby JamieA on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:11 pm

Here is a video (from my phone, so quality is only so so..)

This is the update rate of the screen with filter set to 1ms.

My Movie.wmv [ 3.87 MiB | Viewed 22210 times ]

I have since talked to one of the designers about the update speed, and it has actually been done on purpose.

What they found was when the update speed was increased, it became harder to distinguish an individual reading, as the numbers changed values too quickly. This speed was chosen as it was fast enough (3hz from memory) to get quick updates, but not too fast for the eye to read the value.

-Jamie
JamieA

Postby jcorsico on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:50 am

Jamie -

Thank you; the video is quite helpful.

Is there any way to increase the update speed beyond 3 Hz? I.e., can this be adjusted in the softare?

I can undertand the original design intent, but this seems to be a matter of personal preference (at least for me), as I have a hard time following the numbers that update slowly. For example, when I look at the lap time clock, I naturally expect the tenths and hundreths to update very quickly (because they are only tenths/hundreths of a second), even if the numbers become blurred on the display. Kind of like using a stopwatch - the numbers look like a blur as they count up. So it looks confusing to me when they update much slower than that.

Thanks again,
Jon
jcorsico

Postby JamieA on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:02 pm

I understand your request, but I have checked, and that setting is in the Firmware, and therefore not able to be user configured. We may be able to do a firmware change, but this seems unlikely at this point to happen.

We have been selling the ADL range for many year, and this is the first instance I have had where this request made.

I will investigate the option of allowing it to be sped up, but I dont think that it would happen any time soon.

regards,

-Jamie
JamieA

Postby jcorsico on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:10 am

Okay. Thanks again Jamie.

Jon
jcorsico

Postby jcorsico on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:00 am

Jamie - to provide more color (to the extent the designers find it persuasive! ;) ), the slow update speed makes it quite difficult to determine the rate of change of a measured figure.

In other words, if you look at a display with a fast update speed, you may not be able to make out each specific number, but merely with a very quick glance you can determine whether a number is going up, going down, or staying about the same. Also, you can determine the rate at which it's going up or down (a blur means the figure is changing fast).

It's like looking at an analog dial gauge - you can very easily determine how fast (and the direction) the measured figure is changing by the speed and movement direction of the dial indicator. You don't necessarily need to know the exact number - but you want to know the speed and direction at which the number is changing.

A slow update speed makes it easy to read a specific figure - i.e., wheelspeed is "96". But very hard to determine whether or not the wheelspeed is going up or down, and how quickly it's going up or down.

Thanks again,
Jon
jcorsico

Next

Return to ADL3, SDL3 and CDL3