New laptop PC help

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: New laptop PC help

Postby JamieA on Thu May 31, 2012 11:27 am

Cooper72.

We do not support apple systems with MoTeC hardware. We do list the minimum system requirements with each product, and specify a windows based operating system.

As Apple products are such a small portion of the laptop market, the work required to make them work reliably cannot be justified.

I recommend that you purchase an inexpensive PC laptop for this use.

regards,

Jamie
JamieA

Postby Holmz on Thu May 31, 2012 4:23 pm

JamieA wrote:...
We do not support apple systems with MoTeC hardware. We do list the minimum system requirements with each product, and specify a windows based operating system.

As Apple products are such a small portion of the laptop market, the work required to make them work reliably cannot be justified.

I recommend that you purchase an inexpensive PC laptop for this use.

Using parallels or a dual boot works on macs.
That is a viable option, and windows XP works great.

The other option would be if MoTeC would be open to someone working with them on a port to Windows, which would require an NDA and some significant trust to protect their intellectual property.

Personally I would think that an iPad version would be pretty slick and that there would be a lot of market value in that. But then I am program for S/W for the linux OS so I am predisposed to that approach.
Holmz

Postby JamieA on Thu May 31, 2012 11:34 pm

we have been discussed tablet / smart phone applications for motec products.

As a general rule, the mechanics of the tasks required to tune engines, configure data loggers, examine logged data in detail etc, dont suit themselves to the relitave inaccuracy of the control methods for these products.

We will continue to look at this as time goes on, but at this point, there doesnt seem to be a worthwile mechanism to make this a useful product for customers.

regards,

Jamie
JamieA

Postby Blu302 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Would it be viable to make a basic ECU logging downloader or a view sensors screen for basic telltales or indicators?

Blu302
BMW E46 M52TUB25 w/ cams, headers, exhaust, CAI
Blu302

Postby MileyCyrus on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:17 am

If anyone actually currently wants the ability to run MoTeC software on a tablet-style device, have a look at the Acer W500, a 10.1" touch screen tablet, that runs Windows 7.

I agree that this interface wouldn't really be the greatest, and that a laptop is much more suitable to the job, but if anyone here wanted a tablet to run the software for some reason, it'd definitely be capable of currently running it straight out of the box.
Nathan Tarlinton
Electrical Team Leader
UOW FSAE
MileyCyrus

Postby stevieturbo on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:19 am

MileyCyrus wrote:If anyone actually currently wants the ability to run MoTeC software on a tablet-style device, have a look at the Acer W500, a 10.1" touch screen tablet, that runs Windows 7.

I agree that this interface wouldn't really be the greatest, and that a laptop is much more suitable to the job, but if anyone here wanted a tablet to run the software for some reason, it'd definitely be capable of currently running it straight out of the box.

Ive thought about these tablets for a while.

Even if tuning software wasnt feasible...using the screen as a data display tool certainly should be. It would just be a very functional data display tool unlike a crappy LCD display.
stevieturbo

Postby Cooper72 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:01 pm

But im running window 7 pro in my parallel system.
It should be no problem with the LAN connection. Or maybe its just a setting with the laptop problem?

Before this im using COMPAQ Presario CQ40, but theres problem with USB connection while using ecu manager.
The usb cannot be detect. Thats why i bought the apple. Now both of my laptop is useless. Data log need to use the LAN for dash manager and USB for ecu manager.
Cooper72

Postby Holmz on Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:38 am

Cooper72 wrote:But im running window 7 pro in my parallel system.
It should be no problem with the LAN connection. Or maybe its just a setting with the laptop problem?

Before this im using COMPAQ Presario CQ40, but theres problem with USB connection while using ecu manager.
The usb cannot be detect. Thats why i bought the apple. Now both of my laptop is useless. Data log need to use the LAN for dash manager and USB for ecu manager.

Buy a few USB dongles, they're not all the same and some work and some don't.

On the Mac side - the address apace 196.168.0.___ can be problematic if the main network on the apple side is on a different IP space (e.g. 172._._._ ).
Holmz

Postby Cooper72 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:01 am

Holmz wrote:

On the Mac side - the address apace 196.168.0.___ can be problematic if the main network on the apple side is on a different IP space (e.g. 172._._._ ).

Thank you holmz, then how to solve the ip address problem for mac.
Really appreciate it if someone can solve my mac problem.
Cooper72

Postby Holmz on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:41 am

Cooper72 wrote:
Holmz wrote:

Thank you holmz, then how to solve the ip address problem for mac.
Really appreciate it if someone can solve my mac problem.

I set the IP as static on the mac with 192.168._._ and save that as location=motec.
Then the mac is on the same address space as the motec gear.

Then use automatic or a static for the regular mac work.
I use static with the home at 172.16._._
Holmz

PreviousNext

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs