Enhancing MDD functionality with ACL/EDL

Discussion and support for current Advanced Dash Loggers, Sport Dash Loggers and Club dash loggers

Enhancing MDD functionality with ACL/EDL

Postby Esprit on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:19 am

Hi there,

I've currently got an M800 ECU in my road/track car, and am also running a MDD and an SLM on the instrumentation side of things. I run the MDD in conjunction with the factory STACK dash since I like to keep the car outwardly stock-looking (hence why I've not used an ADL/SDL in place of the factory cluster).

I've got the MDD mounted in the dashboard discreetly in a place where it can be hidden or shown and use this primarily to monitor engine health like oil pressure, oil temperature, gearbox temperature etc without having to have a bunch of gauges for the purpose. I also use the M800 for some basic datalogging when on track.

I would LOVE to be able to programme the MDD display to include some custom layouts more tailored to what I use it for, although I know this can't be done when connected to an Mx00 ECU.

Can this be done when connecting to an ACL/EDL datalogger? I seem to remember that the ACL has the ability to drive an MDD/SLM in a hugely customisable way but this is a VERY serious piece of kit and is complete overkill (and expense) for what is not a serious race car. In that respect the EDL might suit my needs more if it has the ability to provide the MDD with customised displays (and drive the SLM in a more detailed way with customised warnings etc)

In short, I'd really like most of the functionality and display customisability of an ADL, but without the size. Can the EDL (when teamed with an MDD) do this?

Thanks,

George Maddever.
Esprit

Re: Enhancing MDD functionality with ACL/EDL

Postby chelspeed on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:45 pm

With an ADL3 you can control the MDD in a number of ways. One is for it to mimic fairly closely the display on the ADL3 this is "MDD Transmit (ADL Display)" from the comms setup page. By fairly closely I mean all the info is there but fonts are different and minor differences like that.

There is no EDL3 software so I guess you run it using ADL3 dash manager. Which means I guess you can set up customised displays for the non existent display and then forward these to the MDD.

Copouts - My experience is with driving MDD from an ADL3 and ADL3 dash manager. As above it's logical to think the same would apply to EDL3 but can't guarantee it. Whether this applies also to EDL (EDL1 for clarity) and ADL1 dash manager I'd just be guessing but try downloading ADL dash manager and see if the templates are there.

Lots of info here http://www.motec.com.au/mdd/mdddownload/
chelspeed

Postby chelspeed on Fri May 04, 2012 4:26 am

Well after a month no comment from the original poster at all. Really glad I went to the effort to reply. Next time you want something don't hesitate to get lost /hitch hiker's guide anorak mode off
chelspeed

Postby Esprit on Fri May 04, 2012 7:04 am

I did read your reply, and led me to do some further reading on the subject which backs up what you say. Unfortunately my partner's terminal illness has been a little more pressing for much of this last month than chasing improvements on the car.

Thanks for the effort taken to reply and once I've the time and money to invest in further improvements I will be using your advice :)
Esprit

Return to ADL3, SDL3 and CDL3