CAN messages into PDM

Discussion and support for MoTeC Power Distribution Modules

CAN messages into PDM

Postby pcarroll on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:32 am

I am trying to get the PDM15 to read CAN RPM from a Pectel SQ6 ECU. I also need it to read CAN messages from the RaceGrade kaypad gateway. The keypad is working fine. But when I try to define RPM, it only lets me choose a short range of base addresses - not sufficient to pick up both items.

What's the trick?

Thanks
Peter
pcarroll

Re: CAN messages into PDM

Postby JamieA on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:10 am

We dont have any information about a that Keypad. Perhaps talk to the people that you purchased it from about how it works.

Keep in mind that the any channels sent to the PDM are only 8 bit, so you must scale them down.

My general recommmendation is to send on/off channels to the PDM, not the RPM itself. Although both methods do work, the on/off method is easier.

-Jamie
JamieA

Postby pcarroll on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:50 am

I guess my question is really about receiving messages from multiple CAN sources.

It looks like the PDM can only receive 32 bytes of data from in a single frame. i.e. you can only set the base address once. I am afraid that if I configure the second device to broadcast a similar address range, then they will interfere with each other.

What is the suggested technique to receive data from two different CAN devices?
pcarroll

Postby Herrubermensch on Tue May 08, 2012 11:00 am

I think Motec misunderstood. Peter is talking about the Motec Racegrade Keypad, so he was asking about Motec's own product.

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Postby JamieA on Tue May 15, 2012 1:31 pm

MoTeC do not make a keypad.

It is not a MoTeC Product.

MoTeC USA (a distributer of MoTeC products in the USA) may sell other non MoTeC products from their business, but we dont support these products as they are not MoTeC products.

as for the question specifically, the PDM can recieve on 4 id's 0x118 0x119 0x11A and 0x11B.

You could transmit from one CAN device on 118, and another device on 119.

I dont know if your keypad device can do this sort of thing.

regards,

-Jamie
JamieA

Postby Herrubermensch on Wed May 16, 2012 2:33 pm

So the switchpad in the attached link is labeled as a Motec, but is not made or supported by Motec? If so, that's Remarkable.

http://store.apexspeedtech.com/motec-racegrade-keypads

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Postby JamieA on Thu May 17, 2012 10:40 am

Yes Peter, that is right. We have tried to ensure that MoTeC USA describes and labels any non motec parts that it sells in a way that ensures that it is not confused with actual motec products.

When I have looked at the racegrade website, it seems to clearly indicate that the keypad works with the MoTeC PDM, but does not attempt to suggest that it is a motec product.

that website that you have shown me the link for is a US dealer selling the racegrade product. I have to assume that the dealer is confused about the source of this product, and I will be notifying them of this information today.

I hope this confusion wont cause an issue, as I am sure that the product itself will work in the way that it is described, but we just dont know anything about this product.

I suggest that you email to, or call MoTeC USA for assistance on the product, or look at this website:

http://racegrade.com/

regards,

Jamie
JamieA

Postby Apex Speed Tech on Thu May 17, 2012 11:53 am

I am trying to get the PDM15 to read CAN RPM from a Pectel SQ6 ECU. I also need it to read CAN messages from the RaceGrade kaypad gateway. The keypad is working fine. But when I try to define RPM, it only lets me choose a short range of base addresses - not sufficient to pick up both items.

Peter (and anyone else who needs help with Keypads they get from Apex Speed Technology....)

Please feel free to post your questions our forum which you can find at www.apexspeedtech.com. We've had success with the keypads and MOTEC PDMs, and would be happy to help!

I guess my question is really about receiving messages from multiple CAN sources.

It looks like the PDM can only receive 32 bytes of data from in a single frame. i.e. you can only set the base address once. I am afraid that if I configure the second device to broadcast a similar address range, then they will interfere with each other.

What is the suggested technique to receive data from two different CAN devices?

The easiest is to use your CDL3 as a gateway - have all your CAN devices go to there, then transmit the data you want to the keypad in the address range they specify.

Kind Regards,
Neel Vasavada
Apex Speed Technology
2931 S. Sepulveda Blvd Suite F
Los Angeles, CA 90064
www.apexspeedtech.com
Apex Speed Tech

Postby Herrubermensch on Fri May 18, 2012 12:14 pm

Thanks, Jamie and Neel. The switchpad is a wicked-cool product, and Neel and ApexSpeed have been wonderful in support thereof. I was just scouring this forum and decided to pose the question.

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Postby gary@apt on Sun May 27, 2012 8:55 pm

hi guys

im trying to use one of these switch panels to turn tc on and off ,ive got motec m800oem in evo,pdm 15 and a cdl

ive got all other bits working but cant work out how to switch ecu inputs from switch panel

any one help
gary@apt

Next

Return to PDM15 PDM16 PDM30 and PDM32