2JZ-GTE Wiring in the SYNC Signal ??

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

2JZ-GTE Wiring in the SYNC Signal ??

Postby QXZ9027MKII on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:23 am

Hi,

I have a supra with a 2JZ-GTE non VVTI engine.
Trigger System:
- REF: 12 tooth trigger wheel on the crank. magnetic
- SYNC: 2 cam sensors with one tooth for each sensor on the intake cam, they are apart by 180 deg. both magnetic

Now my question is which cam sensor to wire to the SYNC input of the M600, is it the cam sensor in the front of the engine or the cam sensor in the back of the engine.

Check the Attached Images
2JZ-GTE Crank & Cam Sensors WD.jpg
2JZ-GTE Crank & Cam Sensors WD.jpg (33.13 KiB) Viewed 15744 times

2JZ-GTE Crank & Cam Wave Forms.jpg
2JZ-GTE Crank & Cam Wave Forms.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 15735 times
QXZ9027MKII

Re: 2JZ-GTE Wiring in the SYNC Signal ??

Postby PQatPIT on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:50 pm

To increase ignition timing accuracy you can upgrade to VVTi-engine crank sensor wheel, 36-2 type. Of course it works quite good with 12 teeth wheel but better results can be had.

In any case get a brand new cam sensor, and fit it to the front side. I have noticed that many aftermarket cam grinds produce lower and noisier signal when back side sensor location is used. Yes I have tried all the combinations, and yes I have tried few other management systems with similar results ;) . This is same with 1JZ but difference between front and back sensor locations is not so big.

Seems that Toyota oem crank and cam sensor ages faster than many other brand oem inductive sensors. Make sure that sensor wire shield goes all the way very near to sensor pins. It helps to keep noise out. Ref/Sync capture is a great tool to get sensor voltage levels and filter tables properly configured.
PQatPIT

Postby MarkMc on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Technically you can use either of the sync sensors but your CRIP will be different for each (watch ref/sync webinars). Never really noticed either being noisier but I'll take your word for it.
MarkMc

Postby QXZ9027MKII on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:11 am

PQatPIT,

It seems that there is a merit for what you are stating, since most of the plug n play standalones for this engine uses the front cam sensor.

Mark,

Its just that i was afraid that the sync signal should be in a certain position in reference to TDC CYL1, the webinars been really helpful, believe me, with out them i don't think i would know where to start asking.
QXZ9027MKII

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs