Dyno connection

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Dyno connection

Postby boyler on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:12 am

A dyno has just been installed in our college and we are hoping to use it for our Formula Student car. Unfortunately the dyno is owed by a different department so I don't have much information about yet but I was told it needs to be connected through OBD to work. Our car uses a m400 ecu. Just wondering is there a way to convert CAN to OBD or any other means. Like I said I have little to no info about the dyno so this may not be a problem at all but just wondering if anyone out there would have any helpful info.
boyler

Re: Dyno connection

Postby anthony_hk2001 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:02 am

Are you running piggy-back?
I am not sure what do u mean by OBD to work.

But in general, a M400 uses CAN network and the UTC Adapter is needed to connect to a computer or laptop.

http://motec.com.au/commscables/commcan/

You will need the M400/M600/M800 to CAN connector wiring #61037, (If you don't have it with your M400)
and the UTC, USB to CAN adapter (includes USB cable) #61059.
anthony_hk2001

Re: Dyno connection

Postby MarkMc on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:19 pm

If the Dyno works from OBD it will not be compatible with any MoTeC ECUs. OBD is a request based system where the reading device requests individual channel readings, i.e. if it wants an instant reading of RPM it must request that and then gets one reading of RPM back from the ECU, if it wants RPM again it must ask again. All of our ECUs constantly stream CAN data in different formats so there is no need for the dyno to request anything.

You will need to find out if the dyno is capable of recieving constantly streaming CAN data and, if so, in what format.
MarkMc

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs