sync error

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

sync error

Postby sphilips on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:27 am

I have an input of 3.7 voltage signal from the sync sensor when the engine is not running. When it is running the voltage falls to a 0V when the tooth is passing the sensor. So there is a constant ref/sync error.
Isn't it normally the other way arround? 0v when no tooth and 3.7v when a tooth is passing.

It is a Honda cbr1000rr 2010 model. All wires are connectted like the original wiring loom. Expect Motec says that the Hallsensor needs to be connected to 8v eng and I connected it to 5v eng as per original Honda.

Any help?
sphilips

Re: sync error

Postby stevieturbo on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:54 am

As far as I know, A Hall sensor will be high as the tooth is passing the wheel and does fall low at the gap.

I may be wrong, but you should be able to set the voltage thresholds in the software

Ref Sync Webinar

https://motec.adobeconnect.com/_a947097 ... ode=normal

http://www.motec.com.au/webinars/webinararchive/
stevieturbo

Postby sphilips on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:50 am

stevieturbo wrote:As far as I know, A Hall sensor will be high as the tooth is passing the wheel and does fall low at the gap.

I may be wrong, but you should be able to set the voltage thresholds in the software

Ref Sync Webinar

Now it is the other way around. Very strange. Maybe honda uses a hall sensor that works this way.
When I should turn the 5v and ground the other way around, will i hurt the sensor? Just to test.
sphilips

Postby stevieturbo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:22 am

sphilips wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:As far as I know, A Hall sensor will be high as the tooth is passing the wheel and does fall low at the gap.

Ref Sync Webinar

Now it is the other way around. Very strange. Maybe honda uses a hall sensor that works this way.
When I should turn the 5v and ground the other way around, will i hurt the sensor? Just to test.

Hall sensors are wired one way, and one way only.

If you need to recognise a different edge signal, change this in the settings on the Motec. Pretty sure all of this is covered in the Webinars
stevieturbo

Postby Scott@FP on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:24 am

Hall Effect sensors can go either way, high or low when next to ferrous metal or on the gap. There are even some vehicles that use both types.
Scott@FP

Postby sphilips on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:12 am

I tried all settings and nothing help. I keeps getting a sync error.

it keeps getting 3.8v when no trigger is passing. 0v when a trigger is passing. I tried a pulldown resistor. This way I have 0 volt when nothing is passing but also when something is passing :cry:

anyone? What do other guys do when they use a cbr1000rr 2008 model? Or even a honda cbr600rr 2007 + model.
sphilips

Postby sphilips on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:30 am

I just changed the trigger voltage on the REF signal from 0 to 1 volt and the error is gone. I can hear that the engine is turning differant.

Is the sync working as it don't passes the 0v line?
sphilips

Postby MarkMc on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:35 am

Hi Guys,
One EXTREMELY important thing to get your heads around, the ECU does not care if the signal is high or low. The ECU is ONLY interested in the "edge", i.e. the change from high to low or vice-versa. Hall sensor manufacturers make the sensors the way they want high with the tooth or low with the tooth, doesn't matter to us which.

0v-3.7 is normal.

sphilips, you really just need to send me your current configuration and a ref/sync capture.

Also you must check to see if the error comes up during cranking only, this would be normal too depending on ref/sync mode. when you crank the engine be in the Diagnostic Errors screen, as you crank every time any error appears press enter. It is only the errors that keep coming back that you worry about.
MarkMc

Postby sphilips on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:47 am

MarkMc wrote:Hi Guys,
One EXTREMELY important thing to get your heads around, the ECU does not care if the signal is high or low. The ECU is ONLY interested in the "edge", i.e. the change from high to low or vice-versa. Hall sensor manufacturers make the sensors the way they want high with the tooth or low with the tooth, doesn't matter to us which.

0v-3.7 is normal.

sphilips, you really just need to send me your current configuration and a ref/sync capture.

Also you must check to see if the error comes up during cranking only, this would be normal too depending on ref/sync mode. when you crank the engine be in the Diagnostic Errors screen, as you crank every time any error appears press enter. It is only the errors that keep coming back that you worry about.

So the signal doesn't have to passes the 0v line for being correct? Like it is now I don't have any error more (I changed the trigger voltage from the ref sensor to 1 volt, it was 0v) But I thought when the sync wasn't crossing the 0v line it wasn't working.

I'll mail you the capture and config file in the morning. if you will give me the email adress or if you can confirm that the sync doesn't have to cross the 0v line. It is not needed, this way all if good and error free.
sphilips

Postby Holmz on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:29 am

sphilips wrote:
MarkMc wrote:Hi Guys,

So the signal doesn't have to passes the 0v line for being correct? Like it is now I don't have any error more (I changed the trigger voltage from the ref sensor to 1 volt, it was 0v) But I thought when the sync wasn't crossing the 0v line it wasn't working.

I'll mail you the capture and config file in the morning. if you will give me the email adress or if you can confirm that the sync doesn't have to cross the 0v line. It is not needed, this way all if good and error free.

SPhillips - he is here: mark.mccoy@motec.com.au

You could put a capacitor on the output of the Hall sensor which will then only pass the AC.
I would not do that as:
1) it is another part
2) and at least 2 solder joints
3) The ECU "does not care" it essentially is a high pass filter.
Holmz

Next

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs