CDL3/Subaru OBD2

information about how to make an ECU (MoTeC or non MoTeC) work with a MoTeC dash or data logger

CDL3/Subaru OBD2

Postby proformance on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:27 am

I wish to outfit a fleet of Subaru powered off-road vehicles with CDL3s. From what I have read, the OBD2 interface is the best option for obtaining Subaru ECU sensor values. In reading the installation process as it pertains to the CDL3/OBD2 configuration, the process requires the pressing of RED switch (part of the track kit harness) to complete the installation/programming/configuration.

Question:
Is the pressing of the RED button required each time the CDL3 is powered up, or is this a one time process on initial installation?
If the Subaru ECU is swapped for another Subaru ECU from a like vehicle, is the RED button process required upon swap, or is this a one time process?

Thanks,
proformance

Re: CDL3/Subaru OBD2

Postby JamieA on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:33 am

Ok, the pressing of the red button doesnt really do anything, apart from checking that the OBDII config is installed in the dash, so just the first time as a check that is all..

I have taken the same CDL3, and moved it from a BMW 3 series to a 911 porsche, to a cayenne, to a Ford Falcon ute, then to a Seat. This was done without any changes to the dash, it just worked in each car as soon as it was plugged in.

What year model are the Subaru's that you intend connecting to? I have found that the early model Subaru's dont have CAN based OBDII, but the later ones will. If you have the later CAN based OBDII, then it will all work no problems.

where are you located?

regards,

Jamie
JamieA

Postby proformance on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:44 am

Thanks Jamie,

I'm in Southern California.

Not sure on the year/model of the ECUs at this time. At the moment, I am creating a list of questions for the engine supplier prior to calling him. Obviously, inquiring if the ECU has a CAN based OBDII will have to be added to my list.

Does Motec have the ability (and software/firmware) for obtaining ECU sensor data from Subaru ECUs which do not incorporate CAN base OBDII (IE: RS232)?

Thanks,

Gary
proformance

Postby Chris on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:32 am

Hi Gary,

We have a few options that might be worth discussing with you. Please give us a call here in California at 714-897-6804 ext 108.

Chris Brown
Chris

Postby proformance on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:53 pm

Update,

Today I discovered these vehicles are actually using EMS Stinger-4 ECUs. Sorry for the confusion, I was under the impression from a former employee theses vehicles had OEM Subaru ECUs.

My question has now changed to:

Is the CDL3 capable of reading/accepting the EMS Stinger-4 RS232 data protocol?

If Yes, is this an upgrade or included with the standard package?

Thanks,

Gary
proformance

Postby JamieA on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Do you have the EMS Stinger-4 RS232 data sheet?

Ill see if we have it here.

regards

Jamie
JamieA

Postby JamieA on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:03 pm

I found the information. We dont have it implemented yet, but if you have a need for it, I could see if we could push through the change, as it looks farirly small..

regards..

-Jamie
JamieA

Postby proformance on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:09 pm

That would be great.

How long do you expect this to take?

And, will there be a service charge for this?

At the moment, I have not received the go-ahead to start the project, so I am not in immediate need. But I need to make sure all my ducts are in line before i sell the project to the customer.

Thanks,
proformance

Return to ECU to Dash Comms