Throttle Blip???

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: Throttle Blip???

Postby IDP on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:00 pm

You can remove or modify the safety linkage if you need to quite easily.

In Std form the Linkage allows around 20 - 25% Butterfly angle above Driver request.

I've used the std setup for blipping with no problems.

Both sensors on the throttle bodies are double track
IDP

Postby Holmz on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Fast_Moto wrote:I just took another look and it looks like it may be possible to eliminate that safety mechanism (at least based on pictures of it on an R6). If you look at the attached picture from an article by sportider.com, there is a linkage that prevents the DBW motor from opening the butterflies more than the throttle cable is opened. You may be able to remove the linkage and turn it into a regular DBW system which has blipping capability.

Still looks like the cable only does the pull-shut part... Unless there are twin cables running from the throttle-grip on an R1 or R6??

Secondly...
Do any of the DBW system work quickly?
Every car that I have been in that has DBW has been woeful.
Even naturally aspirated engines feel like turbos with very perceptible delays both going on the throttle and coming off of the throttle.
Of course my experience has been rental cars.
Seat, Yaris, and an Audi.
The last one (Audi) was not too bad, but the first two we almost 1/2 second of delay going on and at least 1/4 second coming off. I doubt that is all plenum related.
Holmz

Postby IDP on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:20 pm

Yes, 2 cables from the throttle grip on R1 - R6. 1 open, 1 close. Most bikes are like this for safety.

The sensor you can see in your pic is effectively the pedal sensor, there's another on the other end of the bodies on the butterfly shaft which is obviously the Throttle position sensor.

The system you have there is good enough to win World and British superbike championships completely unmodified!

That's accurate enough to control over 200BHP through 1 tyre.

You won't find the delays you have found in cars.
IDP

Postby AlanB on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:56 pm

The delays in throttle reponse in a road car are not due to the hardware limitation of the drive by wire motor, more the way the throttle pedal signal is filtered and the pedal translation tables.

The main reason is the usual one, exhaust emissions. It is hard to maintain lambda 1 with fast throttle response!
Alan Bell
MoTeC Europe Ltd
AlanB

Postby Blu302 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Is it at all possible to "make" a DBW setup because this topic is getting me interested, but i can't find one for ITB on a V8.

Blu302
BMW E46 M52TUB25 w/ cams, headers, exhaust, CAI
Blu302

Previous

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs