condenser for ignition?

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: condenser for ignition?

Postby Chris Wilson on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:28 am

The OE amplifier on RB series Nissan engines is atop the cylinder head, in between the cam covers, probably about as hot as it gets without bolting the thing to a turbo or the exhaust manifold.probably explains why so many break down or fail completely. After the £400 UK unit failed for the second time, wasting a race entry, I bought two 3 channel Bosch amplifiers, and they are mounted on a 1 inch thick alloy heat sink, on the inner wing of the car, on cabling about 28 inches long to the COP's, and from the M800. Never had an issue since. I don't use any form of interference suppression, either, other than screened cam and crank sensor leads and resistive plugs. My Volvo V90 has these amps and Volvo mount them on the intake manifold plenum, so vibration apparently is no problem to them, but the location on the Volvo is also quite cool.
Chris Wilson

Re: condenser for ignition?

Postby Martin on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:58 pm

On 90% of installs I use no noise suppression.

OEM Engine harnesses such as Toyota and BMW has a cap built into the engine harness itself. 0.47uF if I remember correctly and wired between coil+ and coil-. NOT connected to the trigger wire for both internal and non internal amplifier coils.

Toyota coils, 1GRFE, has internal igniter
BMW coils dont have igniters in them and both are wired the same. BMW 6Cylinder engines have the same thing and you can see it on the side of the plastic box that holds the wiring for the 6 coils. Can be seen on N52, N53, N54, and N55. Im sure S54 is in the same place. On the N62B48 and S65B40 its in the back of the harness, basically between the 2 heads.
Martin
Pro User

Previous

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs