Best paddle shifte kit

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Best paddle shifte kit

Postby asaparrat on Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:09 am

Hi All:
could you say me what is de best paddle shifter kit to put in Hewland sequetial touring car gearbox? or the best actuator type (neumatic, solenoid, hidraulic)I want to do all control by M400, so I need a throttle blipper actuator. please any sugestions?
Regards
Alejandro
asaparrat

Re: Best paddle shifte kit

Postby Martin on Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:27 am

e-shift from the UK sells kits and also Albins (australian company) makes a shifter for their sequential gearboxes that has a pneumatic piston incorporated into the shifter. Id say the best way to control the blip is going for DBW if youve got it, maybe somebody has a method of blipping a cable throttle?

Martin
Martin
Pro User

Postby MarkMc on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:02 pm

I have worked with both the Electronic solenoid and the Pneumatic kits from the UK (no names mentioned) on the same car. The solenoid was first and we had some issues, apparently people had been having trouble with the shift force dropping as the solenoid got hotter and we had exactly the same thing. I really do not know if this was a problem with earlier designs or if it was some sort of installation problem but the system was taken off and replaced by the pneumatic system which has been on the car ever since and works very well. The only downside of the pneumatic system is you have to mount a pump and tank and have it controlled to maintain pressure, the solenoid is a much more compact overall system.

As Martin said DBW is the best way to go becasue you have greater flexibility in the position the blip goes to, a solenoid is generally an on/off device, although I know people have used throttle blipper solenoid before.

There is a fair amount of R and D when it comes to seeting these system up to work, you more or less have to tune it to the car.
MarkMc

Postby Pascal on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Dear Alejandro,

i go for electro-hydraulic. Like Ferarri's F131 with *** ECU. Consistant in pressure and good speed capabilities. There is company in Italy that do that hydro pump's and stuff.

regards Pascal
Pascal

Postby Martin on Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:35 am

Pascal,

Have you got a link to their site?
Martin
Pro User

Postby Apex Speed Tech on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:55 am

Pro-Shift worked great on a turbocharged Radical we did, so we ordered one for a new customer's car. Its been a week and we're still having major problems with the shift solenoid not working. It will shift well once or twice, then act as if it doesn't have enough force. HOWEVER....

So far their support has been excellent. They have answered all of our questions promptly, and even overnighted a new solenoid from the UK to Salt Lake City for us to try. Unfortunately the car (running a standard shifter) had an engine failure before we could try it. We've used pneumatic systems from Radical (I know someone else makes them, I forgot who...) with great success lately but if this will do the job without the complications of compressors and tanks, I'll be very happy.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.
Neel Vasavada
Apex Speed Technology
2931 S. Sepulveda Blvd Suite F
Los Angeles, CA 90064
www.apexspeedtech.com
Apex Speed Tech

Postby MarkMc on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:33 am

Hi Neel,
This is the same problem we had on a Corvette. It would be fine for a few laps and then simply loose force. The customer had talked to other who said it was a heat related problem but the system was changed to the pneumatic one before I had a chance to check if this was true.

Don't suppose your interested in logging some stick on K-type thermocouples to check and let everyone know? I think the Pro-Shift guys would be interested as I have heard of this problem from a few people now. I have a sequential Quaife to go in my car soon and would prefer to have no compressor and tank as well. :)
MarkMc

Postby Apex Speed Tech on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:07 am

I can log some temps, no problem. I don't think this is heat related though becuase it will happen in the paddock with the bodywork off the car....
Neel Vasavada
Apex Speed Technology
2931 S. Sepulveda Blvd Suite F
Los Angeles, CA 90064
www.apexspeedtech.com
Apex Speed Tech

Postby MarkMc on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:06 am

How about hitting the solenoid directly from the battery rather than through the Pro-Shift black box? Working out if it is a solenoid problem or a back box or power supply problem.....?
MarkMc

Postby Arve Flaat on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:17 am

Hello

Try the pressure air kit from MagnaParva in UK (www.magnaparva.com).
The Motec M800 controls it.
I have mounted one kit on a rally car and it works very well. We only miss one ting, that is automatic up shift in the Motec softwear.

Regards

Arve Flaat
Arve Flaat

Next

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs