M800 Outputs error, been burned???

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

M800 Outputs error, been burned???

Postby Frank on Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:38 pm

The engine we have is CBR600RR. After the wiring stuffs, I connected all the sensors and IGN1(Coil and spark plug), remain the IGN2,3,4, INJ1,2,3,4, fuel pump, fan and so on disconnected. Then used the starter to rotate the engine. I did this to calibrate the CRIP with a timing light. At first, everything is fine and I did see the flash lights. I also got a capture of the ref/sync signal. But, when I retried the third time. I couldn't see the flash lights. Then I noticed that the coil was so heat! :o Of course I disconnected the coil immediately. From then on, when a coil connected to the IGN1 output pins, it would be heated. But remain normal when connected to the IGN2,3,4 output pins. Since I don't have a oscilloscope at hand, I used a digtal multimeter to check the voltage between the two pins of IGN. I found that the voltage between the two pins of ING1 was about 12V, and the voltage between the two pins of ING2,3,4 were about 8.5V. Also, when testing outputs with Motec ECU Manager. The voltage between the two pins of ING1 remained the same when testing or not. But the voltage between the two pins of ING2,3,4 changed slightly when testing or not.

What's the problem? Does it mean that I burned the IGN1 port? How can I burned it? Everything operation seems to be no problem. :(

What can I do now? It's really urgent...... :?
Frank

Re: M800 Outputs error, been burned???

Postby Martin on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Have you got the trigger edge correct for you IGN system?

Also, some coils, if they have power while the ECU is off they trigger, couldnt that be the reason for the hot coil?

Another thing you can check is that your "Number of coils" is correct.
Martin
Pro User

Postby Frank on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:00 pm

Martin wrote:Have you got the trigger edge correct for you IGN system?

Also, some coils, if they have power while the ECU is off they trigger, couldnt that be the reason for the hot coil?

Another thing you can check is that your "Number of coils" is correct.

Thanks a lot. I may figure out what is wrong.

If I connect the coil with A26-A4,A5,A6 of the M800 with just ECU power on but not rotate the crank. The coil acted as normal. But connect the coil with A26-A3 of the M800, the coil would be heated.

Then I used a digtal multimeter to measured the voltage between the A26-A3, and A26-A4,A5,A6. I found that the voltage between the A26-A3 was quite different. And the voltage between the A26-A3 would not change while I used the Motec ECU Manage to test the output. But the voltages between A26-A4,A5,A6 would change slightly while I used the Motec ECU Manage to test the outputs.

The engine can't be start yet since I haven't got a good calibration of CRIP.
The reason for the hot coil I think is: The voltage between A26-A3 is about 12V. But it should be about 8.5V as A26-A4,A26-A5,A26-A6. I think maybe there's some damage to the M800 internal circuitT_T :(
Frank

Postby IDP on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:45 am

You should not connect the CBR Coils directly to the IGN outputs of the ECU.

They must be connected to an ignition driver first.
IDP

Postby thorstengsxr on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:14 am

HI

I konw it's a hard information for you, but IDP gif you the correct information. The CBR 600 RR has Denso coils and you need a wirring like this.
http://www.motec.com.au/filedownload.php/m37.pdf?docid=1267

regards Thorsten

http://www.racebikesonline.de
thorstengsxr

Postby Frank on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:39 pm

IDP wrote:You should not connect the CBR Coils directly to the IGN outputs of the ECU.

They must be connected to an ignition driver first.

I connected the CBR Coils directly to the IGN outputs of the ECU. And this faulty operation damaged the ECU.~_~ Thanks a lot.
Frank

Postby Frank on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:45 pm

thorstengsxr wrote:HI

I konw it's a hard information for you, but IDP gif you the correct information. The CBR 600 RR has Denso coils and you need a wirring like this.
http://www.motec.com.au/filedownload.php/m37.pdf?docid=1267

regards Thorsten

http://www.racebikesonline.de

Vielen Dank!
Frank

cbr m800 start file

Postby formulauem on Tue May 24, 2011 12:31 am

Hello!!! I´m a in a formula student team and we´ve recently purchased a Motec M800. We have set a CBR 600 RR engine and i have a couple of doubts:

First of all I would like to know if I have to connect the coils direcctly to the ignition outputs or put a ignition module between them.
Secondly, has someone any start file or base map for this kind of engine and motec? I will appreciate it very much.
Also i don´t know if just with the serial port (Tx, Rx, 0V) and an USB adaptor I can connect the motec with my laptop.

Kind regards.
Thankyou very much.

www.formulauem.es
formulauem

Re: cbr m800 start file

Postby Frank on Fri May 27, 2011 5:40 pm

formulauem wrote:Hello!!! I´m a in a formula student team and we´ve recently purchased a Motec M800. We have set a CBR 600 RR engine and i have a couple of doubts:

First of all I would like to know if I have to connect the coils direcctly to the ignition outputs or put a ignition module between them.
Secondly, has someone any start file or base map for this kind of engine and motec? I will appreciate it very much.
Also i don´t know if just with the serial port (Tx, Rx, 0V) and an USB adaptor I can connect the motec with my laptop.

Kind regards.
Thankyou very much.

http://www.formulauem.es

You need a Bosch Ignition module of course. Don't connect the coils to the ignition outputs directly. It'll damage the M800 outputs as I did before.
With a UTC, you can connect the ECU with your laptop.
Frank

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs