ADL3 5.12J and venue files

Discussion and support for current Advanced Dash Loggers, Sport Dash Loggers and Club dash loggers

ADL3 5.12J and venue files

Postby Turtle.Driver on Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:46 am

The most recent version of Dash Manager is driving me nuts. It will no longer open any of my .VN1 venue files from last year, nor will it open any vehicle files. I can open the .D51 configuration files (once I found the option) but nothing else.

Is there a utility that didn't run right on the install on either of my two computers or are we simply expected to recreate all our venue and vehicle files?

Also irritating is the bug that requires a logging directory to be set before you can try and load a venue file. Then, once it refuses to load the venue file it clears the logging directory which had been set. It would be nice to be able to change the default location for the /MoTeC/Details directory also. It defaults to /Program Files/MoTeC and I don't want it there.
Turtle.Driver

Re: ADL3 5.12J and venue files

Postby JamieA on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:07 pm

This sounds a little strange to me.

I am using 5.20J here and can select any of my old VN1 files
I can also open any of my VH1 files

The venue folder must exist, as that is where you downloaded log files are going to be stored.

What operating system are you using?

Windows 7 has put some restrictions on some directory locations (such as c:\program files) and will block attempts to store items in there.

Maybe explain in a bit more detail what happens when you try to open the particular files in question

regards

Jamie
JamieA

Postby Turtle.Driver on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:13 pm

It may be file location... and I am using Win 7 Professional (32 bit)

If I open the dialog box by clicking "select" for a venue file, the default location is C:\Program Files\MoTeC\Details
If I then browse to the folder where I store the files ( C:\Users\Tom\Documents\Track Data_BC\MoTeC (BootCamp)\Details ) and select an existing venue, I get an error that says it can't read the venue file. If I click 'ok' to clear the error message, I then go back to the main screen where it has cleared the venue information and also cleared the loging directory.

I can see all the venue files in the directory where I store them, Dash Manager simply will not open them.

How do I change the default directory for Venue, reference laps, etc? (Tools/Options only changes the location for the config files).
Turtle.Driver

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:36 pm

That sounds like a path length problem. I notice your path's length is about 60 characters even before it get's to the file name. I think that is one reason the files for Dash Manager used to live in C:\Motec\Dash\Config -- it was a much shorter path.

If you store the venue files in a different directory (with a shorter path), does this fix the probem?
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Turtle.Driver on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:04 pm

I tried moving the files to C:/motec/details.

It is interesting that when in this location they show up in the pick list, but when selected they still fail to load. I get an error that says "unable to read venue file" All the files are shown as being VN1 files. Any files I create from scratch and save, load properly.

I have extra copies of all my files on my desktop and on my home server. I get the same error from all the locations. It does not matter if I try to load them from the desktop or from my laptop. They fail.
Turtle.Driver

Postby Turtle.Driver on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Trying various ways to get the venues to load tonight...

I've now got a message that says "File version incompatible - " and then the path to the file where it clearly shows a .VN1 as the file type.
Turtle.Driver

Postby Turtle.Driver on Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:14 pm

After more trials tonight, I have all the venue files loading fine from my desktop (running Win7 Professional 64 bit). I uninstalled the Dash manager from the laptop and reinstalled it. Still will not load from the laptop (running Win7 Professional 32 bit).

One difference is that when I try to open a venue from the desktop, the venue loads and I get a warning that the logging directory does not exist (but it appears in the logging directory 'space' in the details editor screen). Once I specify a valid logging directory I can exit the detail editor.

On the laptop, if the logging directory is initially blank when I open the details editor and I try to select a venue, I get an error and it requires I select a logging directory before I can attempt to select a venue, if I then select an existing logging directory, I can try to select a venue. But when I try to select one of my previous venue files created with the previous version of Dash Manager, I get the error "unable to read venue file" and when I select 'ok" both the venue name and the logging directory are cleared.
Turtle.Driver

Return to ADL3, SDL3 and CDL3