Throttle Blipping AGAIN!

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Throttle Blipping AGAIN!

Postby Pascal on Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:45 am

Hey guys!
Will try to be short... heh

lately installed newly developed Holinger pneumatic shifter kit on the holinger RD6 gearbox. As noone have no GCU for it, i did made and developed by my self and its work just perfect. Different channels could be programed, different ways of actuating, very flexible and ultra cheap. Up shift signal goes from the GCU to MoTeC M800 also. Now also Down Shift with throttle blipping also goes from my GCU to M800. Problem is now how to really kick the revs! It is Nissan SR 20 DET engine. 240- 280 KPa boost. 1800 cc engine, 11.000 MAX rpm. I did try with 2 idle valves, but they are just to small, only 18 mm total. Seems to me that 30mm hole would blip fist enough. but where to find so big kicker? Like idle valve from V8's? Or do anyone do something with so big flow, electomagnet quite strong, right? I do preffer that at moment dont do real buterfly kicker. but looking for some other solution except teach driver how to do toe/heal or start to do leavers and stuff on the buterfly. Any idea guys? Any company that do nice big actuators or something similar? Any nice BIG solenoid?

Many Thanks!

Pascal
Pascal

Re: Throttle Blipping AGAIN!

Postby Martin on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Drive by wire
Martin
Pro User

Postby Pascal on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:15 am

Ahhh dear Martin,

i wish! Rules not allow us. Any other idea??

P.S. did already give a tought.
Pascal

Postby John Reed on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:40 am

I had to help setup a car one time and the driver was not good at rev matching and was hurting gearboxes. We very quickly had to come up with something, and we ended up using a solenoid normally used to pop doors open on show cars and such (that have handles "shaved"). I just set it up to activate based on down shift signal from strain gauge and it worked beautifully after some initial adjustment of blip duration and tweaking our linkage. It has now been through many races and working perfectly.

Hope that helps!
John Reed
Motec Sales/Install/Tuning/Support
johnreedracing@gmail.com
John Reed

Postby Martin on Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:42 am

Some cars have a solenoid that releases the boot lid catch to open it via a button from the inside.

I know the old DAEWOO`s use to have them. Maybe you can find out more about this and use this solenoid to blip the throttle, its pretty strong.
Martin
Pro User

Postby Pascal on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:34 am

Thanks guys!

And still i am behind some solenoid that opens one nice 28-30 mm hole. I am pretty much against of bliping throttle trough the linkage. Problem is that spring on throttle is not so strong considering that the driver have hurted foot. Cant aplly to much pressure. Also he use therefore left foot for braking at moment. I would like to find some valve that open big enpough hole that i can just drill hole troguh my intake manifold and open it from my GCU when see down shoft signal. Pretty simple and i would dare to say VERY fast. Only problem is where to find that big valve, eh??
Idea from Ezio was been maybe 2 valves. I think that this is at moment most atractive solution. No linkage, no possible mechanical issues, DBW not really possible due to rules at moment.

Any other idea's please? maybe some producer of some nasty big idle valve for trucks or similar?

Thanks guys!
Pascal

Postby John Reed on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:39 am

You say drive by wire is against the rules, but what about just using a small DBW throttle body as your bypass? It technically would not be "drive by wire" but you would then have a whole pile of parts options to chose from and would also suit the software quite nicely to control your blip.
John Reed
johnreedracing@gmail.com
John Reed

Postby Pascal on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:54 pm

John!!

Well, well now! Now this is maybe interesting idea! So now i can drill one nice hole on the manifold and mount one nice small DBW throttle body, like 40-45 mm. That would rev the thingy pretty well! So just give 12 volts from my GCU and thing is done. Will throw my self on to the work.

Just pone small concern remains, will it seal it well when i put 2 bar boost into the manifold? hmmm

Pascal
Pascal

Postby John Reed on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:39 am

If sealing is a concern, you simply want to plumb it such that it is a "bypass" around the throttle body (one side into plenum after throttle body and other side into charge pipe feeding throttle body. This way, even if there is a small amount of leakage under full boost/wide open throttle, it will not matter.
John Reed
johnreedracing@gmail.com
John Reed

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs