Wireless Connection

Information on getting your PC to talk to your MoTeC product via RS232, CAN, USB or Ethernet.

Wireless Connection

Postby incontrolsteve on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:38 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible, or even done, a wireless connection to the ADL ethernet in the vehicle? I would like to setup wireless connection for download and upload and wonder if it is possible, or if anyone has details of hardware that would be required in the vehicle to do this?
Thanks

Steve Wills
incontrolsteve

Re: Wireless Connection

Postby chelspeed on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:59 pm

Done it off the car. The ADL3 plugged into a hardwired ethernet connection to my wireless router then used a wireless laptop to configure the ADL3.

Just checked and the power supply to my router (netgear) is a plug in mains transformer outputting, would you believe it, 12V DC. So I can't think of any reason why a normal wireless router couldn't sit in the car and give you wireless access.

It's certainly high on my list of "fairly pointless but got to be worth it just to prove I can" things to do for next season. Off to the attic now to check if my old wireless router is also 12V, sods law says it will be 3 or 18V.
chelspeed

Postby 07-EDM-STI on Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:10 pm

was that used for telemetry purpose? thanks
07-EDM-STI

Postby Holmz on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:56 pm

I am going to try this out...

Question:
How does the ACL gets its internet address?
The last part is from the serial number, but when I hook up the bale directly to the computer it has xxx.xxx.xxx.145
Wondering if the first three fields are also fixed, or how that works exactly.

Then I suppose I set up the modem to only allow my MAC address on the computer side.
Holmz

Postby Holmz on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:42 am

Holmz wrote:I am going to try this out...

Question:
How does the ACL gets its internet address?
The last part is from the serial number, but when I hook up the cable directly to the computer it has xxx.xxx.xxx.145
Wondering if the first three fields are also fixed, or how that works exactly.

Then I suppose I set up the modem to only allow my MAC address on the computer side.

So tried to hook this up with the direct cable connection on friends computer, and that needs to be on a specific address range. So similar issue to the above.
Holmz

Postby OmarK on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:32 pm

We have been working with wireless routers connected to ACLs/ADL3s for over 2 years now so it just might be the setup of your router.
OmarK

Postby Holmz on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:31 am

OmarK wrote:We have been working with wireless routers connected to ACLs/ADL3s for over 2 years now so it just might be the setup of your router.

That is right Omar. He has a highly firewalled set up.

Is the first part of the ACL's address fixed or set with DHCP, or can that be set ?

I tried setting an IP value in the ACL manager, but on Windows I have a hard time working out the IP of the computer as well as the devices hooked up to it... And it looked about the same as before when the transient windows messages popped up.
Holmz

Postby rdmahurin on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:41 am

I wonder if something like this Cisco WBP54G Wireless-G Bridge (for IP Phones) could be configured to work in the car?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10046/index.html

Add a bluetooth intercom and you'd be good to go; completely wireless.
rdmahurin

Postby MartijnV on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:09 am

Sorry for bringing this old post back up.
But i'm very interested in using a wireless connection between the ADL3 and my laptop.

Does someone know if this is possible and how.
Is it just by using a wireless router or ??
https://t.me/pump_upp
MartijnV

Postby chelspeed on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Yes it's possible.

I use a sitecom range extender which can also be configured as a wireless access point. It's a WL130 details http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3123776/S ... oduct.html It's not a current model but I'm sure current versions would also work (as long as they're 12V like the W130).

I've plugged the ADL3 ethernet into the WL130, put ignition switched 12V into the power supply, extended the aerial to the top of the cage, configured it as an access point rather than a repeater, given it it's own SSID and WPA code. The laptop then see's it as an additional netwrok to connect to, the first time you connect you need to point it at the right SSID enter the WPA code and that's it, it just works.
chelspeed

Return to MoTeC PC Comms