Boost overshoot

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: Boost overshoot

Postby Wolf_Tm250 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:02 pm

Scott@FP wrote:Are you using the external WG with both top and bottom ports, with manifold pressure to the bottom port and the WG solenoid to the top port? Or is it bottom port only with EBC bleeding off pressure?

How is the solenoid connected, as a normally open or normally closed valve?

Yes, I'm using both ports, with the Delco EBC valve connected as per spec at the top port... that is to say Normally Open (Wastegate to Manifold when OFF = pressure increase):
this's why I can't understand why the overshoot decreased when I decreased Normal Position numbers...

It appears from the logs your normal position vs actual position exceeds the settings in the Pos Int Clamp and Neg Int Clamp tables and it quits reacting. You don't have to be using I for the +/- Int Clamp tables to have an effect.

Try increasing your pos and neg int clamps to 30% and see if it starts reacting during overshoot. Your Normal Pos tables may need some adjustment.

Thanks, will try

Oh and try using Boost Aim on the Y axis of the Normal Position Table rather than Manifold Pressure, that way if it does over/undershoot the Normal Position DC% is where it should be instead of lower or higher than it should be.

It was mapped with RPM on X axis and TP on Y axis:
do you mean using Boost Aim (X) and TP (Y) ?

Thanks
Wolf_Tm
Toyota Celica GT-four ST205 - full TTE/WRC hardware
Parma - Italy
http://www.youtube.com/user/WolfTm250
Wolf_Tm250

Postby Scott@FP on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:16 am

RPM X and TPS Y? Is this an individual throttle body manifold with the MAP sensor upstream of the throttle plates?
Scott@FP

Postby Wolf_Tm250 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Scott@FP wrote:RPM X and TPS Y? Is this an individual throttle body manifold with the MAP sensor upstream of the throttle plates?

No, I have no individual TB... just one TB on the plenum and the MAP connected to the plenum itself...
Yes, the Normal Position table was mapped RPM X and TPS Y...

So your advice was to use Boost Aim Y and ?

Thank you.
Wolf_Tm
Parma - Italy
Wolf_Tm250

Postby Scott@FP on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:13 am

Use Boost Aim Y and RPM X if regular speed/density, Effcy X if MAP/EMAP.

Don't see how Normal Position based on TPS is going to work since actual boost pressure can be anything at 30%+ throttle and is independent of throttle angle.
Scott@FP

Postby Wolf_Tm250 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:54 am

Scott@FP wrote:Use Boost Aim Y and RPM X if regular speed/density, Effcy X if MAP/EMAP.

Don't see how Normal Position based on TPS is going to work since actual boost pressure can be anything at 30%+ throttle and is independent of throttle angle.

My system is just MAP, so Boost Aim Y and RPM X...

Thanks a lot Scott
Wolf_Tm
Parma - Italy
Wolf_Tm250

Postby Scott@FP on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:44 pm

If you need a TPS based trim to keep from going into surge areas with smaller, fast response turbos set up an RPM X vs TPS Y trim in Comp 1 or Comp 2
Scott@FP

Postby Wolf_Tm250 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:28 am

Scott@FP wrote:If you need a TPS based trim to keep from going into surge areas with smaller, fast response turbos set up an RPM X vs TPS Y trim in Comp 1 or Comp 2

Ok, understood...
Yes this is probably why it was made in this way...

Scott, could you please reply to my previous question, that is why overshoot and boost decreased when I decreased Normal Position Table numbers?

Thank you.
Wolf_Tm
Parma - Italy
Wolf_Tm250

Previous

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs