Subaru 2002 STI non start, errors

Covers current and earlier Subaru and Mitsubishi Plug-In systems

Subaru 2002 STI non start, errors

Postby stevieturbo on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:48 am

In Brief.
Car and ecu running fine 1 year ago before big end failure, V23 software.. Car parked up until recently.

New 2.35 engine etc etc, all original sensors, now fitted with 1000cc RC Eng low impedance injectors from another M400 powered car. Injector set to 2.5.
It's been a couple of years since these injectors were used though, but stored away cleanly.

All sensors etc appear to be reading sensibly ( no AT sensor fitted hence that error )

We upgraded to the latest V34 software too....
The M800pnp car will not start. It does make an attempt....but thats as far as it gets really.

So we downgraded to previous known good running version.....same errors apply.

Anyway.....V34, error screen. Errors appear on cranking.

When sitting stationary, a couple of times when TPS got to about 95%, the injector errors appeared too ????

Could the injectors have gone faulty, and cause this ?? I thought something had got lost in the upgrade process, but downgrading to how the engine ran fine last, doesnt make any difference.
stevieturbo

Re: Subaru 2002 STI non start, errors

Postby RossB on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:27 pm

First of all the M800 Plug in cannot run low impedance injectors. YOU WILL DAMAGE THE ECU IF YOU DO THIS!!! If you want to run these injectors you will need to install balast resistors into the injector circuit. This is not an ideal solution but will at least prevent damage.

According to the errors the ECU is not synced up. Were you manually clearing the errors during cranking? They will not automatically clear when you have ECU MAnager connected to the ECU and it is not unusual for these errors to appear during cranking. If the sync status doesn't change from "Not Synced" to "Synced" the ECU will not fire either the injectors or the coils.

If the ECU is not syncing up you may have a problem with the Sync sensor location which is critical with this ref/sync mode.

Injectors may become damaged if they are left for long periods but this is unlikely to cause errors.
RossB

Postby stevieturbo on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:03 am

I deliberately left all errors to appear for the screen capture, although I'd be sure everything will sync up once started. It was always fine before.

I wasnt aware the M800 could not run low impedance....a warning to this effect in the software would be nice.

Hopefully no damage has occured. Will try re-fitting the standard injectors in the meantime until we can get a proper solution.

Thanks for the info...

Stevie
stevieturbo

Postby NathanS on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:19 am

stevieturbo wrote:I deliberately left all errors to appear for the screen capture, although I'd be sure everything will sync up once started. It was always fine before.

I wasnt aware the M800 could not run low impedance....a warning to this effect in the software would be nice.

Hopefully no damage has occured. Will try re-fitting the standard injectors in the meantime until we can get a proper solution.

Thanks for the info...

Stevie

Just a quick Note Stevie,

The M800 gold box ECU can run low impedance injectors, it is the M800 pnp ECUs that cannot as they have different injector drivers.
NathanS

Postby stevieturbo on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:26 am

Thanks... I assumed that M800...meant all the bells and whistles in all formats, so to speak. I know the gold boxes can run low impedance, as thats where the injectors came from, albeit an M400 gold box car.

The car is up and running now with the standard injectors, until we get a driver box for the 1000cc low impedance ones.
stevieturbo

Postby RossB on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:11 pm

Stevie,

I have requested a warning in the software about the injector configuration. Thanks for the suggestion.
RossB

Return to M800 Plug-In ECUs