M600 Firmware Upgrade Problem

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

M600 Firmware Upgrade Problem

Postby SimonB on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi,

I'm having a problem upgrading the firmware on my M600. It's currently on V3.32E. I've installed the latest V3.52 ECU manager and upgraded the firmware on my UTC no problem. When I connect using the latest ECU manager it prompts me to install new firmware as expected. When I try though it gets as far as trying to erase the flash and reports an error. The error message says "Error while erasing Flash Set memory failed. Ensure the device has at least 10.5V supply. (CAN Error on Gateway)."

Luckily it didn't zap the existing firmware so I can still connect using the old ECU manager. When I do so the ECU is reporting at least 11V, all the sensor readings and voltages look fine. The old ECU manager seems to talk to the ECU fine, you can send and receive configs and it seems to run the car fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm a bit stumped!
SimonB

Re: M600 Firmware Upgrade Problem

Postby MarkMc on Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Probably need to upgrade the UTC firmware. Go to the Windows Start menu and all programs, MoTeC, USB to CAN Adaptor and upgrade the firmware. Just have the UTC plugged into the laptop and nothing else. Try upgrading the ECU again.

Let me know.
MarkMc

Postby SimonB on Mon May 10, 2010 5:40 am

As I said, I did upgrade the UTC firmware before upgrading the ECU firmware, and that appeared to suceed. I had the UTC plugged into the ECU at the time, although the ECU was powered off. Not sure if there is a way of finding out what UTC firmware version is installed?

I also emailed Motec tech support and had a reply suggesting disconnecting the coils, injectors and any other accessories in case the ECU was turning them on during the upgrade. I've had a chance to try this now. I disconnected the ignitor, removed the fuel pumps fuse and disconnected my wideband controller (it includes a heater for the sensor which I figured may be drawing power). I checked the sensor readouts in the old ecu manager - I was getting a steady 11.7V reported, plus the 8V and 5V supplies looked good. I then attempted the upgrade and got the same result.

The only thing I can think of is that there is something extra being checked on erasing the firmware that isn't generally required to use the ECU manager, retrieve logged data or anything else. I can't remember if I have ever upgraded the firmware before so it may be something incorrect in the installation (Owen Developments did that a few years back), although it otherwise works fine as I said.
SimonB

Postby SimonB on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:41 am

I'm resurrecting this thread because after leaving the old firmware on for a couple of years I tried upgrading it again to the latest version again today and it still isn't working. This time I also tried doing it on an old Windows XP laptop with a parallel port CAN cable and had the same problem, so it's not to do with the UTC or the laptop/Windows 7. The ECU still works fine apart from not being able to upgrade, and there's a new battery in since last time so definitely no problem with the power supply. I've also checked the power wiring - it's wired up as per the manual.

Anyone got any ideas? I'd really like an up to date firmware on there as mine is now well out of date.
SimonB

Postby MarkMc on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. You probably need to drop into your MoTeC dealer and see if they can upgrade it for you. Obviously make sure you have a copy of the original file on your laptop before you do this, just in case.
MarkMc

Postby yhubaldiaz on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:58 am

hola amigos tengo una pregunta porque se ace un puente en los terminales de lk9 y lk 10 para que pueda traba jar el traccion control en una ecu m800 que esta instala en un evo 8 y que termi nales se debe acer lo mismo para un evo 7 ya que baria los pin out gracias ( auto de rally)
yhubaldiaz

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs