launch control figures on zx10r

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

launch control figures on zx10r

Postby zxrjohn14 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:38 am

hi,
can anyone recommend, or tell me what rate of revs to rise on a zx10r 05 model.
i just want to compare to what i've got before i go and test it.
i've got it at 7000rpm upto 50kph then upto 11000 revs at 80kph, then it turns off.
any comparisons or advice are greatly appreciated.
:D
zxrjohn14

Re: launch control figures on zx10r

Postby MarkMc on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi John (?),
What you really need to do is use your data logging. To set up launch control I would normally log a launch that has next to no wheel slip so that I have information for what RPM give what rear wheel speed. Next (the tricky part) you need to work out how much wheel slip gives you the best acceleration, for this I usually log slip vs Longitudinal G Force. This will tell you how the tyre works.

This is probably all quite difficult when you are in fear of lifting the front wheel so the cheap and nasty way of getting a good launch setup is to try an number of different launch techniques and overlay them all in I2 to get the best parts of each launch.

You are probably best to use a sensor on your clutch lever as well because how quickly you let it out will greatly affect the launch.....so it's not all about RPM. This will be affected by oil temperature too. Is it a drag bike?
MarkMc

Postby zxrjohn14 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:26 pm

thanks for getting back to me, Mark. it's a race bike.
i'll be honest and say all you've put there, even down to the clutch sensor, is what Steve Hurst of GWR Motorsport in Swindon UK, told me to do. Steve is the man who set it all up for me.
i just wondered what other peoples figures were like as a comparison.
i'm off up to an old airfield to test it next week, so i'll have to post how it goes :shock:
thanks again
John
zxrjohn14

Postby MarkMc on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:12 pm

Good old Steve. :)

Unfortunately when it comes to bikes you have the clutch as a major player in the launch. I would not use anyone elses figures without understanding the way they use the clutch. See if you can get hold of a sensor (a throttle position sensor) to rig up to keep an eye on the clutch. Oil temperature would be good as well....obviously this stuff is floating around the clutch as well.

I always say you should never assume a value, you should log it and know for sure.
MarkMc

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs