R33 GTR Skyline rev counter settings?

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

R33 GTR Skyline rev counter settings?

Postby Chris Wilson on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:11 am

Finally had some free time to get my M800 managed RB26DETT engine in my two wheel drive shell and have doe a basics systems check. After a bit of fiddling with the stock relays to power up the system all seems good. I have not, as yet, set up the rev counter though. Eventually the car is going on a digi dash, but for now I want the stock rev counter running. Has anyone done a Skyline install and can let me know the set up parameters for the output please?

As an aside, do you happen to know if removal of the stock ecu will kl the speedometer? I think the speed sensor on the box drives the dash and speedo head, then comes back DOWN to the stock ecu, but I am not 100% of that.

Thanks.
Chris Wilson

Re: R33 GTR Skyline rev counter settings?

Postby DarrenR on Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi Chris,

It should all work fine. Connect the tacho wire (Pin 7 on the standard ECU connector) to an m800 auxiliary or spare inj output (not aux 5, 6, 7, or 8). Setup that output as function 4, Tacho output. Calibration is 0 and start x10 is up to you.

I know this works on an r32 and s13, i haven't personally tested an r33 but the nissan manuals show the same configuration so should be right, i'm just not 100% sure...

The speedo wont be affected, it is as you think. Connect the speed signal wire from the instrument cluster to a dig input on the m800.

Cheers,
Darren Reynolds
MoTeC Research Centre - Melbourne, Australia.
DarrenR
MoTeC

Postby Chris Wilson on Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:41 pm

Thanks for that Darren, getting near to start up and mapping now, been a interesting project as despite using Motec for years have always bought cars with it ready installed or had it professionally fitted by A N Other. Feel a lot more confident to do another install myself now, but would pay for a pro loom to fit the exact needs rather than hacking a stock loom and adding a patch box to the Motec. Really appreciate the support from this forum and you Motec people, very different to the DTA forum (UK made ECU with good features but no makers support forum, just user helping user). Thanks again, I am sure this place sways people to buy Motec, or continue to use it.
Chris Wilson

Postby garykenward on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:29 pm

hi guys, im having the same problem with my s14 sr20det, its wired correctly , red wire on the back of tacho is the tacho feed, and then through a resistor back to 12v and m400, but my tuner says the ecu is not 'seeing' anything so cant configure it to work, i got about 6 different resistors to try with it but nothing seems to work, not even a flicker of the needle. Any ideas what the problem could be...? thanks Gary
garykenward

Postby Chris Wilson on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:39 pm

I used the ecu wire on the stock loom at the stock ecu plug ( I made a patch lead for the M800 plugs to go into the original ecu connector via a new Nissan type ecu board socket I got from Motec) and didn't need a pull up resistor or whatever they are called, I just needed to feed and set up the correct output on the M800 and it worked fine. I hadn't got the right output set up before posting.
Chris Wilson

Postby Alex B on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:39 am

Hi Chris,

If you do remove factory ECU, you would have to rewire 3 wires that are going to the ATESSA ECU, RPM, TH POS and Gnd. Just Join these with the inputs/outputs on the Motec.

If needed I could find exact pin numbers.

Cheers
Alex
Alex B

Postby Chris Wilson on Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:21 am

Evening Alex, I should have been clearer, the car is a track car based on a GTS-t, so only two wheel drive, so no Atessa or other complications to worry about.
Chris Wilson

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs