Cold Start Issues

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Cold Start Issues

Postby xpro on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:19 am

Can someone shed some light here please, in my M800 regardless of cold start settings it takes about 2-3 seconds to start the car. ( evo 8). If i switch it off immediately, wait for a few seconds and then try again, car will start on first crank. I played with the cold start parameters, and engine comp table, and still the same??
thanks
xpro

Re: Cold Start Issues

Postby IJ. on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:13 am

I solved the same issues on my car by logging the starts to see exactly what was happening on cold starts then tuned around that.

Logging rules in this instance as what I thought was happening wasn't correct and all of my previous adjustments were in the wrong direction.
IJ.

Postby 20B on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:26 pm

I found that putting some 'first injection' in helped it kick over first go. This is on a rotary engine so it may not be relevant but it took me ages to discover this helpful feature after trying everything else first !
It just gets a big gulp of fuel on the first firing of the injectors before the cranking comp takes over. It may or may not work for you, but hey give it go !
Mazda 1993 RX7
20B N/A engine
Motec M800,CDI, SDL, SLM, LTC, DHB
20B

Postby figgie on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:56 am

I am with IJ on this

Are you sure that you are looking at the right "thing"?

Particulalry is your fuel pressure up enough or is it somewhat low and the letting the car "rest" helps in increasing the fuel pressure?

Log as much as you can and then see what needs adjustment.
figgie

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs