Upgrade -- Now won't start (!??!) (HELP ASAP PLZ)

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Upgrade -- Now won't start (!??!) (HELP ASAP PLZ)

Postby ausupra on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:36 pm

Last night I connected the unit to the laptop (first time). The following message was displayed:

An ECU with an old version of the ECU firmware has been detected. Communications be established until the ECU firmware is upgraded. ECU version = V3.41 Latest version v3.52F.

Would you like to upgrade now?

I pressed 'yes' and it said 'Enter ECU password'.

I pressed 'cancel' and then it said

The ECU has an incompatible firmware version. This version of ECU manager cannot be used. Disconnect the ECU or abort.

I tried to find version 3.4 on the Motec site but it was not there (even in old files). If I had had that I would have been able to connect directly and have access.

Now, I put on version 2.3 as it was the only one I was able to and now the car won't start! The car was starting before but now it seems the file is wiped and I can not open the file or switch the car on!!!

What has happened here? Why would this be the case? Where is version 3.4 so I can put that in my laptop and at least try and open the earlier file? Or is there another way?

Would really appeciate a hand here.

Thanks.
ausupra

Re: Upgrade -- Now won't start (!??!) (HELP ASAP PLZ)

Postby Dragon on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Can you still communicate with the ECU?
Why did you choose "cancel" when you were prompted for a password?
Do you not have the password?
Dragon

Postby SprinterTRD on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:30 pm

ausupra wrote:I tried to find version 3.4 on the Motec site but it was not there (even in old files). If I had had that I would have been able to connect directly and have access.

No you wouldn't the ECU has a password, without the password you cannot get into the ECU

Now, I put on version 2.3 as it was the only one I was able to and now the car won't start! The car was starting before but now it seems the file is wiped and I can not open the file or switch the car on!!!

What has happened here? Why would this be the case? Where is version 3.4 so I can put that in my laptop and at least try and open the earlier file? Or is there another way?

Of course it won't start The ECU has a version 3.4 map in it but you have loaded a 2.3 operating system into it. The MAP cannot be downgraded only upgraded, Now the operating system does not know what to do as the operating parameters are in the wrong place.

Your only option is to send the ECU back to the tuner who locked the ECU to undo what you have done. Also you should discuss the removal of the password with them.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby xpro on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:12 pm

just a question when upgrading ecu firmware to v3.5,will it wipe the ecu clean or the data remains on it?cheers
xpro

Postby IDP on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:16 am

If you upgrade and don't need a password or you have the password then upgrading should be straightforward.

The upgrade will update the ecu config file and the firmware.

Of course common sense says back up the config file first just incase.
IDP

Postby garychios on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 am

I find that if you are not a f1 team or some biiig team, password protection is a joke. What the hell are you protecting that noone else cant reproduce? What the hell. Who ever put the password on should die!
garychios

Postby IJ. on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:19 am

A lot of times it's done to protect owner from themselves or their friends...

Personally I wouldn't do it but I can understand why some tuners do it for the above reason, if they're doing it to protect their "IP" as they see it it's a joke.
IJ.

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs