CAN Issues.

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

CAN Issues.

Postby alexc on Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:12 am

Hi There.
Can anyone shed some light on this.
We have an M800 and an ADL2.
We have made the can bus up and the dash is seeing the ecu and receiving data.
If I plug the laptop in using the can lead and try to work on the ecu it will not see the ecu and the connection box on the ecu manager is flashing between unable to connect and time out.
The only way I can use the lead is if we remove both resistors from the bus, but then upon disconection the ADL is not getting data. Or disconnect the ecu from the bus.
We have made the bus exactly as the manuals say, have checked the resistors and wiring repeatedly and all is ok.

Am I right in assuming that if I am connected to the bus I should be able to work on either the dash or the ecu?
I have tried the USB cable aswell can see the dash but not the ecu. Should I be able to work on the ecu with the usb?
Any help would be great.
Alex.
alexc

Re: CAN Issues.

Postby alexc on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:52 am

Anyone ?
Please.
Have tried searching through the forum with no luck.

Alexc
alexc

Postby RossB on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:40 am

If you are connected to the ADL2 you will not be able to connect to the ECU and you will see it flash between ECU Not Connected and Cmmunications Timeout. It is ok to have ADL2 Dash Manager open but if you are conencted to the Dash ECU MAnager cannot connect, likewise when ECU MAnager is connected you will not be able to connect with Dash Manager. Dash Manager is only connected when using: Monitor Channels, Simulate, Channel Zero, Read Value, Input/Output test, Send COnfiguration and Download Logged Data.
RossB

Postby alexc on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi Ross.
Thanks for the info.
Have just rechecked the wiring and replaced the resistors as they were the only things I was not 100% sure of their wattage, they were and are .25w
I have a can connector on each end taking their 0 and 8 v supplies from the dash or ecu whichever its next to with the resistors after this.
with everything powered up If I open ecu manager up It comes up with the cannot connect/ time out messages alternating very quickly.
If I close the ecu manager and open the dash manager it wont see the dash at all and brings up the
time out box, but the dash is showing the readings from the ecu.
Now if I remove the resistors from the bus then which ever software I open up is fine and I can adjust both fine, and the dash is reading the values ok, until I unplug the can lead then the dash loses its readings.
If I plug in the dash's usb lead then I can see it fine, but not the ecu at all.
My ecu is on 3.32e software is 3.3.2.5
Dash is V4.205 software 4.2.0.208
The lead is a Motec Parallel type.
Am I missing something obvious here?
Alexc
alexc

Postby RossB on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:04 pm

First of all you should update your software, I would not recommend using Version 3.3 M800. It sounds like you have a terminating resistor problem, are the resistors at the end of the CAN Bus? Also you should not need 2 CAN connectors in the loom. The CAN Cable has a resistor built in so when you remove the CAN terminating resistor and plug the cable in you effectively have installed a resistor. Upgrade your ECU and ADL2 and check the location of the resistors. If this doesn't fix it post your configurations (or you can send them to me) and I will test them.
RossB

Postby alexc on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:26 am

Hi Ross
Thanks for your suggestions again.

Have updated both software and firmware to dash v4.5.0.13 and ecu to 3.5.1.16, these looked to be the latest versions in the download section. Still the same :roll:
We also took all devices from the bus and checked the resistances and get 50ohms wherever we connect the test leads, which is basically 2x 100 ohm resistors in parallel as you would expect.
Have tried it with 1 connector and 2 resistors, one plug 1 resistor, 2 plugs 2 resistors
The bus goes in this order resistor----can connector------dash------ecu-------resistor
0 + 8v------------/
How do I email the configs to you? I have checked the addresses and active connections etc

ecu is sending can 0 data set1
can 0 address 1520
can 0 tfr rate 50

Dash
Can1 motec m800 set 1
under advanced/ Parameters
device async expander
format fixed binary
alignment normal
receive timeout 2200 ms
diagnostic channel comms can1 diag
CAN settings standard
async device M8 ??
base address 5F0

Not sure if that helps or not ;)

To be honest I think we are starting to think the pc lead is u/s as the bus works fine between devices, only when we try to plug the pc in do we have a problem, is this likely?

Sorry if this is not the usual way of posting info.

Thanks.
Alexc
alexc

Postby RossB on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:43 am

You need to use a different CAN Template in your ADL2. Use the template called "MoTeC M800 (3.3+) Set 1". I don't think that this will fix your problem though. You can e-mail the configs to ross.buckingham@motec.com.au and I will take a look at them for you.
RossB

Postby alexc on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:25 am

Hi Ross.
Thanks for that.
Have put a new template in as suggested. You were right it didnt fix it.
Will email you the configs later on.
Do you think I may have a problem with the lead? can I test it? or is it looking more serious :o
Alex.
alexc

Postby alexc on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:02 pm

Hi All.
Just a little update.
Turns out the NEW Parallel to can lead I have been using is u/s have tried someone elses utc and it works fine.
Have had this problem since day1 of putting the can bus together and wasted days trying to figure it out.

Alex.
alexc

Postby RossB on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:48 am

It could be worth checking your 0 Volt Comms and 8 Volt Comms wiring. The MoTeC CAN Cable uses the 8 Volt supply but the UTS doesn't, the UTC is powered by the USP Port on the PC.
RossB

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs