M800 RS232

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

M800 RS232

Postby dA_RoB on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Hy guys,

I'm pretty new to the whole motec stuff so forgive me if i ask some stupid questions.

I'm from the Formula Student Racing Team in Austria and we are using motec for 5 years now (m4, m48, m800).
On our newest car, we decided to go with the m800 again. It seems to be the perfect choice for us.

However, as I'm responsible for the right set up of our car and taking into account that i'm just a beginner, it's sometimes pretty hard to get along.

However, as it is now, while the car is on the circuit, i'm not able to see anything that happens with it. So i thought it would be pretty cool to have a radio system on the car which sends me all the data from motec to my laptop.
I alredy found someone who is willing to build a system i need BUT, he is only able to send data over the RS232 connector from motec. At first i thought it would be cool to change data while the car is driving, but as i can't get the radio system sending data over CAN, i think the only possibility is to have a data aquisition system, in other words, just to se what's happening with the car and not changing any data. The problem i came across is that my motec momentally doesn't give any data through the RS232 connector.
I read at the motec homepage that i need the telemetry monitor to see something, but this also doesn't help.
So, my question would be, do i need to unlock some options on my motec to get data through the RS232 communication port and which data can i actually see through it?
Or is there any way to change data over the RS232 communication port?

Sorry for my long post

Many thanks in advance :)

Robert
dA_RoB

Re: M800 RS232

Postby RossB on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:25 am

The Telemetry will allow you to send channels via RS232. This is set up in ECU Manager under Adjust/General Setup/Communications/RS232 Telemetry Setup. If you look at the help file ("F1"key) the channels sent are listed there.

Making adjustments to the ECU while the car is being driven is potentially dangerous and is not recommended.
RossB

Postby dA_RoB on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:10 am

I'm aware that changing the data while car is driving could be dangerous, but still, it'd be the perfect tool, because otherway, i have to plug in the CAN plag to the car every single time i want to change something.

Is there a possibility to change data over the RS232? i assume not!?

Thank U!

Greets from Austria
dA_RoB

Postby RossB on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:27 am

You assume correct, the ECU can only be adjusted using a CAN connection. RS232 is not possible.
RossB

Postby dA_RoB on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:35 pm

Thank You all :)
dA_RoB

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs