Drive by wire functionality

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: Drive by wire functionality

Postby Martin on Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:33 am

figgie wrote:well

I can tell you the LS2 DBW throttle can do it as fast as you mash or take your foot off the pedal. OF course with the motec you can adjust the sensitivity and limits (ie instead of 0%-100% you can do 0%tps=0% DBW & 100%tps = 40%DBW, of course not recommended :) ) Time, I am not sure as I never measured the LS2 DBW. Perhaps MoTeC can answer that.

Hi,

The GM DBW butterfly`s, ive read that they are not very reliable because of its internal gears that fail easier than most other units. Any comment on this?

How big is the LS2 unit? Whats the biggest DBW unit that you have calibrated at motec?

Thanks
Martin
Martin
Pro User

Postby MarkMc on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:41 am

ElsmorrtelG,
It think you want to keep your setup quite simple to start with.

Up Shift De-Blip: 3D table in the Gear Shift Function
Down Shift Blip: 3D table in Gear Shift Function

Not sure why you want to throttle blip over CAN.

RPM Limiter: 3D comp table for DBW one axis is RPM. Do a big "-" comp when you get to the RPM limit you want.
Pit Limiter: Second Axis of comp table can be a 0 or 1. The 0 or 1 channel can be from the pit limiter switch changed to an AT or if you want to get tricky send the current digital status to the ADL to create a channel and send it back. If the driver can stay in one gear for the pits it will be easy, you would just need to do the same big "-" compensation at the RPM you want.

About the only thing you may want to do in the furture maybe a PID RPM for the pit speed but for now it may be over complicating things. (sorry, trying to keep track of where we're at with this one).

All throttle bodies that have not been calibrated by MoTeC should be sent to us via your local dealer so we can generate a drawing for them.

The Earlier GEN3 V8 throttle bodies were pretty weak in the gear department, a problem that I believe GM picked up on quite a few years ago. The current ones seem to be fine and I have not heard of anyone breaking one in years.
MarkMc

Postby ElsmoortelG on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:34 am

Can the calibration be done by Motec Europe headquarters ?
Is it possible to sent it directly over there not to waste time.

An item where I didn't get a clear answer on. The 3 throttles I want to connect to the DBW4-unit are they capable to have the same opening angle with the same acceleration to have the same balance and AFR on the 3 rotors ?

The migration to DBW is getting its chape and you are right I need to keep it simple for starters.
So your proposition for the comp map is a thing I will do.

I want to keep a window to go back when I am not able to get a good result. So I will connect the accelerator pedal, load cell and pit limit button to the ADL2.
That way I do not need to modify the engine wiring.

We will have the ADL2, M600, Beacon Receiver, DBW-4 on the CAN bus.
So quite some info will be on the bus. When (how many channels sent and received) could we notice the delay ?

Do I need to connect the pit button to an AT input on the ADL2 or can I use a switch input ? What is the problem why we can not use the dig input in the comp table ?
ElsmoortelG

Postby figgie on Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:38 am

Martin wrote:Hi,

The GM DBW butterfly`s, ive read that they are not very reliable because of its internal gears that fail easier than most other units. Any comment on this?

How big is the LS2 unit? Whats the biggest DBW unit that you have calibrated at motec?

Thanks
Martin

Not sure were you read that. Most all DBW have to be gear reduced so the motor can actually open the throttle plate. The "motor" needs the mechanical advantage.

The LS2 DBW is 90mm in size. 90mm is the biggest DBW I have heard of. I know gm is going down to 82mm for the LS9 supercharged engine.
figgie

Postby Martin on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:48 am

Figgie,

Read it in the motec note "D11 GM DBW Motor.pdf"

Is the 90mm found on the LS2, which car?
In South Africa the Chevrolet Lumina SS Runs the LS2. Ill try and find out what the size is on this particular model.

Does anybody know of aftermarker DBW units that might be available in future?

Martin
Martin
Pro User

Postby figgie on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:20 am

Martin wrote:Figgie,

Read it in the motec note "D11 GM DBW Motor.pdf"

Is the 90mm found on the LS2, which car?
In South Africa the Chevrolet Lumina SS Runs the LS2. Ill try and find out what the size is on this particular model.

Does anybody know of aftermarker DBW units that might be available in future?

Martin

Well in North America. The Corvette carries that engine and so does the GTO which is actually a holden Commodore in Australia.

Aftermarket DBW, Bosch makes alot of them. So does Magnetti Marelli.
figgie

Postby Martin on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:57 pm

Figgie,

Do you mean aftermarket for racing applications? Has Motec characterised any of these? If you`ve got any links to sites regarding aftermarket DBW units please post it :)

The Holden Commodore is the same as the Chevrolet Lumina SS here.
Martin
Pro User

Postby figgie on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:17 am

Martin wrote:Figgie,

Do you mean aftermarket for racing applications? Has Motec characterised any of these? If you`ve got any links to sites regarding aftermarket DBW units please post it :)

The Holden Commodore is the same as the Chevrolet Lumina SS here.

The bosch 68mm unit. Yes. the Magnetti Marrelli unit. I don't think so but I could be wrong.
figgie

Postby MarkMc on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:57 am

The DBW 4 only has one aim value going to it so all four (or three) throttles are always driven to the same aim point. There are no options to have the three throttles drive to different positions.

So, you need to be pretty careful in your calibration of the High and Low values fro the TP sensors in the throttle body, i.e they will all get driven to, say 100%, you need to make sure they are all set with 100% on the sensor being the same amount of throttle opening.
MarkMc

Postby Martin on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:44 pm

Ive just measured an LS2 butterlfly on a Cev Lumina SS and its 90mm, must be the same thing.
MarkMc wrote:

The DBW 4 only has one aim value going to it so all four (or three) throttles are always driven to the same aim point. There are no options to have the three throttles drive to different positions.

So, you need to be pretty careful in your calibration of the High and Low values fro the TP sensors in the throttle body, i.e they will all get driven to, say 100%, you need to make sure they are all set with 100% on the sensor being the same amount of throttle opening.

Mark,

Would it be a big problem to have the DBW4 with multiple independant aim values? Could be very useful in turbo engines...

Martin
Martin
Pro User

PreviousNext

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs