CAN and other brand dashes

Covers current and earlier Subaru and Mitsubishi Plug-In systems

CAN and other brand dashes

Postby stevieturbo on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:21 am

Can the CAN on these ( or indeed other Motec's ) be configured to supply information to aftermarket dash displays ?

And is it something a numpty can do, or does it require some skilled knowledge ??

A friend with an 800 PnP 2002STI is considering a Race Technology Dash2 for his car. Other option was an MXL...but I'd prefer the Dash2.

Whats involved ?
stevieturbo

Re: CAN and other brand dashes

Postby DarrenR on Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:06 pm

It depends how configurable the CAN is in the receiving dash and how many channels you need to see.
The m800 can send two custom data sets in sequential ID's or compound format, all 16bit channels and on any standard CAN ID.
You do need some knowledge of CAN communication and is not easy for someone who knows little about serial comms and binary/hexadecimal numbers.

*edit*

I should also mention if your friend was to use a Motec dash, almost all the channels from the m800 are sent to the dash and is very easy to setup, no prior knowledge required! The ADL2 is also highly configurable to send and receive CAN data for advanced users.
Darren Reynolds
MoTeC Research Centre - Melbourne, Australia.
DarrenR
MoTeC

Postby www.TDP.ie on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:14 am

Having used the Race technology Dash2 id would say that you would be better of with the AIM dash. Also id say you should consider a SDL as they are a magic piece of kit and cheap also.

Robbie
www.TDP.ie MoTeC Authorized Dealer. Republic of Ireland
www.TDP.ie

Postby stevieturbo on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:04 am

Price is key here.....

Most people Im speaking to, are steering me away from the MXL. Certainly, the Dash2 appears to have an easier to read display, with more info available.

What sort of price is an SDL by comparison ? And can it work via CAN/Serial with other brand ecu's ?
stevieturbo

Postby JamieA on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:39 am

The MoTeC SDL has the ability to read information on RS232 and CAN from other brand ECU's no problem, but let me know what you have in mind, as some ECU's don't use streaming RS232 data which makes getting data at a reasonable speed for either logging or display not worthwhile.

If price is the key, then you will certainly find cheaper that MoTeC. But like most things in life you get what you pay for.

If you are intending to use the datalogging featres of the dash, you should download the data logging software from us (i2 Standard), and AIM's equivillent, and also the Dash2. Using the provided sample files, you will quickly be able to see where the extra cost has gone just in the datalogging software alone.

Next download all of the display manager softwares, try setting up the different types, and have a look at the limitations you have with the cheaper devices

Dash2 with a DL1 to drive it is about $2300 aud (off the web site)

An AIM MXL is about $1999aud (off the web site)

A non logging SDL is in the same region price wise, with an extra cost for the logging option. Due to differing prices in different countries (due to freight, taxes etc), give your local dealer a call for your local price.

So ours will be more expensive, but not enormously so. But if you compare the hardware, software and features, of the SDL with i2 you will find that it is absolutely worth the extra.

Jamie

I
JamieA

Postby Pete on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:08 am

I have an M48. If I want just to diplay certain paremeters like RPM, speed, temperatures etc, what interface options do I have to build myself something simple?
Pete

Postby figgie on Fri May 15, 2009 2:32 am

Another vote for the SDl over the MXL or Dash2. Throw in the SLM and the combination will be untouchable except (surpassed) by a SDL/ACL/SLM combo or ADL2/SLM combo ;)
figgie

Postby Martin on Fri May 15, 2009 6:14 am

I cant comment on the Dash2 since I havent used them...

Working with an AIM MXL makes me want to pull my hair out in frustration. But if you want cheap, I guess you cant expect more.
Martin
Pro User

Return to M800 Plug-In ECUs