C127 sequential CAN messages?

D153, D175, C125, C127, C185 and C187 forum

C127 sequential CAN messages?

Postby Kma on Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:17 pm

Can the C127 decode sequential CAN messages?

I have a device connected which sends a block of 9 sequential messages containing various signals.
In the Dash Manager Comms setup, I added a CAN 'Receive Message' with the starting Base Address, and added all the Received Channels I am expecting, using the 'Single' Message Type option.
In each Channel, I was able to set Offsets greater than 0-7, so set these to the correct byte offset in the whole sequential data, i.e. offset 9 would be the second byte in the second message in the sequence.

The C127 only appears to see the signals from the first message (the base address).
So, does the option 'Single' option mean just a single 8-byte message is received & decoded?

Could I use the 'Compound' option, or does this expect an index in the messages?
Should I just create separate entries for each message address in the sequence, and add the relevant channels to each?
Kma

Re: C127 sequential CAN messages?

Postby SOReilly on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:23 pm

Hello,

Do you have any documentation on the message layout being transmitted that you are trying to receive using your dash?

If you can share the documentation I can recommend how to go about setting this up
SOReilly
MoTeC

Postby Kma on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:27 pm

Thanks for your reply @SOReilly,

I think it's working now, using 9 separate message 'Section' definitions for each of the 9 sequential IDs which it receives.
It would be nice if it was all in one Section, decoding the block of 9 IDs in sequence, but if it doesn't work like that, then it's fine and working as it is.
I hoped it might 'magically' decode a sequence of IDs starting from the Base address, as the byte offsets can be greater than 0-7, but it does specifically say 'Single' Message Type, so I guess the higher offsets can be used with indexed Compound messages?

The device is something custom I have built to connect to a friend's C127, so it's the first time I'd looked at the Dash Manager.
Kma

Postby SOReilly on Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:22 am

Yes you are correct in your understanding.

When the device is set as 'Receive Message' the intention is that all received signals are contained within the 8 bytes of a single message.

If the device drop down is set to 'Receive Message Block' you are able to configure the received channels as sequential and receive multiple message IDs within the one section, You can look at the M1 General templates which are included with Dash Manager as an example of this.

It is also possible to merge your individual sections into a single section now that you have created them. In the Communications Setup window highlight all your sections by clicking while holding the Ctrl key then click the merge button.
This will ask in a prompt if you wish to merge the selected sections into a receive message block as shown in the attached snip
receive block.JPG
receive block.JPG (47.2 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
SOReilly
MoTeC

Return to Colour displays