Boost compensation

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: Boost compensation

Postby IJ. on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:31 pm

If it happens at power trust me it gets your attention!
IJ.

Postby uvii on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:32 pm

I'm sure it will, my old porsche rpm limit was so hard it felt like you had hit a wall.
uvii

Postby IJ. on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:26 pm

The thing with doing it this way is if the limit is set low say 3000 and you have a low pressure event at 7000 the engine will go full hardcut and shut the ignition down for the delay time you've set.

You can't fail to notice, it's ugly but very effective and saving mechanical damage.

If you set a reasonable delay it gives you time to lift the throttle totally so when the ignition comes back on you don't backfire the engine. (you really don't want to see pics of how I came up with this)

I wouldn't discount Mark's suggestions though as ANYTHING he comes up with will be far more elegant!
IJ.

Postby MarkMc on Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:29 pm

Love to here everyones suggestions, I learn stuff from this as well BUT my usual though when ever anyone suggests how to do something I always think "halfway through turn 1 at Phillip Island and X happens.....how will that affect the car?". My thoughts are always with making sure your engine saving setups don't send you spinning off the track at 150kph. :o

A basic warning light before any cut/rpm limit/whatever may be much better than anything becasue it gives you time to set the car up for slowing down.

I have had systems setup on cars where it all gets a bit complicated for the driver when they are in the zone of driving......if they are a little unsure of what will happen they can loose confidence and therefore are ultimately slower. Somtimes you have to K.I.S.S.
MarkMc

Postby IJ. on Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:00 pm

Mark: LOL point taken ;)

Just thinking back to the old days NONE of our drivers could see warning lights!
(might be different for people who pay for their own engines though)

If it goes off in your above scenario all it does is scares the crap out of you and you slow having NOT ignored a light because you're racing for sheep stations!
IJ.

Previous

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs