Creating a Serial Comms Template for an OMEX 710 ECU

D153, D175, C125, C127, C185 and C187 forum

Creating a Serial Comms Template for an OMEX 710 ECU

Postby kurt_delbene on Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:55 am

I have an OMEX 710 ECU that I'd like to use my Motec C125 Display with. The ECU emits customizable telemetry from it's serial port, but I don't see how I create a customized serial communications template for the C125 to match this output.

By way of example, I set up just air intake temp to be transmitted by the OMEX 710, and I get the folllowing HEX output:

00 18, which is a header byte followed by the hex value for the current inbox air temp.

Thanks for your help!
Kurt
kurt_delbene

Re: Creating a Serial Comms Template for an OMEX 710 ECU

Postby quadcam on Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:07 pm

What was the air temp for 18h? 24 deg?
quadcam

Postby kurt_delbene on Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:13 am

Correct. It's 18 in hex, which equates to 24 degrees c.
kurt_delbene

Postby kurt_delbene on Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:46 am

I should also add that this is just an example - you can add any data element that the ECU generates to the stream that's transmitted on the serial channel. Attached is a PDF print out of the format of a basic stream that has more of the elements I'd like to see on the C125.
OMEX Serial Telemetry Example.pdf
Example of OMEX Serial Telemetry format
(133.01 KiB) Downloaded 572 times

The question is how I create the needed template for the C125 that can import these values.
Kurt
kurt_delbene

Postby quadcam on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:22 pm

I think maybe someone from MoTec will need to make you a template that handles the Header and Checksum as it appears the C125 Communications setup only allows for redefining channels, channel masking and scaling.

Are you sure about the header value being 0x00? That could be a common clash with a channel value. But maybe it doesn't matter once the checksum position is identified.
quadcam

Postby adrian on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:18 am

Unfortunately there isn't any way to read this into a MoTeC Dash. As there is no standard for how a serial stream is formatted we have to manually write a decoder into the firmware for them.

I can add a feature request to our system but, as we don't often get requests for serial inputs any more, the chance of it being added is probably pretty low.

Regarding what quadcam said about the header, is it possible to change it? A single byte header (especially just 0x00) and no message length parameter makes it pretty difficult to read that correctly even with a checksum.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:38 am

My suggestion is to see if the Omex can send any of the supported stream protocols.

There are several to choose from -- Pectel- Stack format works for my customers with Pectel ECUS, and the Life Racing F88 works as well.

However, there are also protocols for AEM, Adaptronic, DTA, Hondata, MBE, Autronic, and more -- you should be able to find some details from those manufacturers.

For example, here is info on the various Autronic protocols, looks like you might be able to support that in the Omex 710 software (it does allow you to provide a single byte header):

http://www.autronic.com.au/data_stream_protocols.html

The Adaptronic uses the AiM Prot_Uart protocol. I don't think that will be supportable in the Omex 710, but here is a document that describes that:

https://www.aimtechnologies.com/support ... 00_eng.pdf

Here is the format of the Hondata, that looks doable:

https://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/i ... ormats.htm

Here is the MBE Protocol info:

https://www.sbdmotorsport.co.uk/wp/wp/p ... ptions.pdf

DTA info starts on page 226 of their manual:
https://www.dtafast.co.uk/download_file ... Manual.pdf
Last edited by David Ferguson on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby quadcam on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:59 am

David Ferguson wrote:...

The Autronic uses the AiM Prot_Uart protocol.

I don't that is the case. The Autronic serial stream is pretty simple and transmits every packet (with every channel) at 20 Hz. I suspect the Motec dash template for Autronic streams would handle it, even with a reduced number of channels, because it includes the message length with the header. Whether the OMEX could generate the checksum is a different matter.

Edit: Clarity
Last edited by quadcam on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quadcam

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:01 pm

You are correct. That was a typo, I had moved onto Adaptronic -- it's the one that uses the Aim Prot_Uart protocol. I fixed it.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Return to Colour displays