Lap Time & Predictive Error

D153, D175, C125, C127, C185 and C187 forum

Lap Time & Predictive Error

Postby WillM on Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:39 am

Hello,

I need some help, and for the first time ever, I'm stumped with an issue with my C127 display.

Lap timing information on the display as well as in i2 are no longer working correctly. I could be wrong, but there appears to be a ghost additional beacon that trips timing. The 'ghost' beacon results in missing or incorrect display timing information on the dash display (C127) and laps split in two. For example, a proper lap time of 1:58.0 is broken into 1:52.4 followed by a 5.6 second lap.

Full details/history:
  • C127 dash
  • Start/Finish is defined by GPS coordinates as entered in the configuration file, I do not use a hardware beacon.
  • Laptime & Predictive & i2 analysis working great for a couple of seasons since purchase/install
  • My laptop crashed a couple of events ago. I made a clean install, and moved over my data/configs.
  • At the time, I installed the latest version of Display Creator.
  • This triggered a required firmware upgrade that I was not expecting while downloading data for the first time since the upgrade.
  • Firmware update was performed track-side during a busy event nd did not go well at first - it took several attempts to properly connect, update Dash and Display Creator configurations.
  • Following successful update, lap timing issues began.
  • This occurred at a venue which can be driven in two directions (clockwise & counter/anti-clockwise).
  • Until recently, there were two venues for the circuit (one for each direction), with the similar S/F line. IAt the time of the attached datalog, there were 3 venues with similar but not exactly the same Start/Finish line. I have since deleted all but the default venue as provided from Motec "Palmer Raceway".

In the heat of the moment I know I made some changes to the dash configuration file in order to restore lap timing functionality. I *may* have also added a new venue that day.

I have since been to a different venue and have a similar problem with the in-car/display timing information.

Attached are the configuration file and a datalog.

I am stumped and quite frustrated with myself, andy help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Will
Attachments
MTC5A62.c127v64
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 485 times
20210815-0712201.ldx
(284 Bytes) Downloaded 497 times
20210815-0712201.ld
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 474 times
WillM

Re: Lap Time & Predictive Error

Postby adrian on Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:55 am

From the data it simply looks like there were two venues with similar coordinates. Just make sure you only have one venue loaded for each actual track.

A couple of things I noticed in your config:

1. Change the Beacon ignore time to something like 10 seconds (or larger). Even though you should fix the venues, this setting would have removed the second beacon if it was longer.
2. The GPS detection radius should be around 20m (65 feet), with your setting of 20 feet it is likely you will miss the occasional beacon. Increasing the radius doesn't change the accuracy of the timing, only the area a beacon can be triggered from.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby WillM on Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:46 am

Thank you for your help!

I read those two suggestions in previous forum posts and implemented them for my last session of the day. Post session review of the data was good, with one beacon and lap times that looked good.

However, during that session, the in-car lap timing and predictive did not work.

Attached is the configuration file and datalog.

Any suggestions as to what may have caused the displayed/live lap times & predictive timing to not work correctly?

Cheers,

Will
Attachments
20210815-0712201.ld
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 494 times
MTC6248.c127v64
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 510 times
WillM

Postby Stephen Dean on Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:57 am

Hi,

Looking at the logging, the track layout may be causing the issue.

Startline.PNG
Startline.PNG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 6203 times

Where the track loops back on itself near the start finish line the logging is creating a new lap in the data. Can you provide the co-ordinates that you used to generate the start finish line?
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby adrian on Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:13 pm

In that logging the reason you are getting no lap times is because you have a condition that is resetting lap time when the beacon is triggered, so as soon as it starts the lap time you are resetting it to zero. This condition is typically used to reset the Lap Time/Fastest Lap Time etc between sessions. So for example you might trigger the reset when the Dash is turned on or you might have a "Session Reset" button that you trigger manually.

In the config you have posted that condition has been removed so it should fix the issue.
adrian
MoTeC

Return to Colour displays