Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

Brushless Fuel pump -- DHB?

Postby CarloL on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:16 pm

Hi

ECU: M130
Fuel Pump: Walbro/ TI Automotive E5LM pump
Q: How to control the pump via PWM

Desc:

I am looking at running a brushless fuel pump Walbro/ TI Automotive E5LM pump via PWM ,

Options:

I am concerned with temperature saturation in the fuel, as far as I know Ti Automotive BKS1000 controller is on/off switch , no variable speed

Question:
Can I bypass all these Fuel controllers and just use a M130 to Motec DHB to E5LM pump? or do I require a controller inbetween , Fuel lab seems to be my only option

Test Data

Radium Engineering test
Ti Automotive BKS1000
Tested flow rate at 45 psi: 577 LPH
Current draw at max pressure: 14.4 Amp
http://www.radiumauto.com/Blog/Post/Rad ... p-Test-100

Injector Dynamics BPC1100 system
http://www.radiumauto.com/Blog/Post/Tes ... EJ0IN_PLCI
CarloL

Re: Brushless Fuel pump -- DHB?

Postby CarloL on Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:42 pm

Has anybody setup a Brushless Fuel pump on the M1?
CarloL

Postby stevieturbo on Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:52 am

If you are concerned about fuel temperatures, what are your current fuel temperatures you perceive as a problem ?
stevieturbo

Postby NathanB on Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:08 pm

Hi Carlo,

Brushless pumps are different to a normal fuel pump, as instead of feeding 12V in on one wire, and ground on the other, they use three wires, and switch which phase of the pump is seeing positive and negative.

For this reason, you will be unable to control a brushless fuel pump directly, or through a DHB.

Due to this they use purpose built fuel pump controllers. There are many OE control modules around, and several aftermarket options such as the fuel lab unit, as well as protec, torqbyte and SRM.

You will have to run a controller for the pump. The MoTeC has the ability to feed a controller a PWM signal either by an auxilliary output table where you can setup a table with a duty cycle for the pump, or alternative, and particularly for a returnless system, you can use the fuel pressure control output (as long as you have a fuel pressure sensor) that will close loop manage the the duty signal to maintain your aim pressure, like you would find on a late model European DI vehicle.

Some controllers also offer the option of a 0-5V input to vary pump speed, in which people will often share the map sensor signal to the module to vary the duty. But for finer control, a PWM fuel pump module is the best option for fine control.
NathanB
MoTeC

Postby CarloL on Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:49 am

Thanks Nathan for the comprehensive reply
CarloL

Re: Brushless Fuel pump

Postby CarloL on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:13 am

Brushless controller contains an array of transistors that switch current to their respective coils to get the rotor turning, just like the brushes and commutator.

Example of M1 setup to integrate with the Injector Dynamics BPC1100 system

CarloL

Return to M1 ECUs