logging yaw with M150 & GPA

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

logging yaw with M150 & GPA

Postby plohl on Thu May 23, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi,
I am using an M150 with GPA package and have purchased an izze racing IMU.
It's can based, and I can assign the acceleration channels to the Vehicle Acceleration in tune, but I can't find anywhere to assign the yaw channels.

Is there a way to feed these values into the ecu for logging? I could use a random unassigned channel I suppose, but that's not ideal.
Last edited by plohl on Thu May 23, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
plohl
plohl

Re: logging yaw with M150 & GPA

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu May 23, 2019 3:01 pm

Hi Plohl,

It is possible to bring these in using the Vehicle Acceleration channels, and using the CAN inputs in the Sensor Resource allocation. This however means that all of the other CAN Sensor resources have to be addressed sequential to the 0x4EC message ID that IZZE uses for the base CAN address on these sensors.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby David Ferguson on Thu May 23, 2019 3:15 pm

I've added support for many of the Izze Racing CAN devices into a couple of my customized M1 Packages.

Contact me if you are considering upgrading to a development license and would be interested in purchasing the source code, or you would like me to develop a custom package for you.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby plohl on Thu May 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks Stephen & David,
Unfortunately, there's no custom packaging on the horizon for the car. But I think I am figuring out why most set ups log with the dash, rather than the ecu.... Not much of a problem when I have a dev license.

SDean wrote:...
It is possible to bring these in using the Vehicle Acceleration channels, and using the CAN inputs in the Sensor Resource allocation. This however means that all of the other CAN Sensor resources have to be addressed sequential to the 0x4EC message ID that IZZE uses for the base CAN address on these sensors.

^ Yeah, not going to lie - that went right over the top of my head.
Yaw is on 0x4EC and Accel on 0x4ED for the IMU, so I can use the Acceleration channels for yaw (0x4EC), but would this mean I wouldn't be able to use them for the acceleration data?

quick look at tune and dash software to remember how CAN "works"....

The ecu receive can only be set 1 of the 3 CAN buses, with the base ID either set to 0x4EC or whatever. Mine is current set to 0x0500....
I think I can use the C125 as a "translator" to get the IZZE data onto one base ID.... but this still leaves with only 3 acceleration channels on the ECU software, and no where to put the other 3 bits of data.
cheers
plohl
plohl

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu May 23, 2019 4:32 pm

Do you have logging in the Dash? If so, just log the channels in the Dash, don't bother dropping the data into the M1.

My way of looking at the logging that I have setup is that the M1 deals with engine related data, and the Dash deals with vehicle related data, I do have some channels that are present in both log sets, such as Engine Speed and Vehicle Speed so that I can line the data set up in i2, but for the most part I do not replicate the data logged.

If you do want to run it into the M1, it is possible.

0x500 should be set in the PDM CAN ID Base as this is the base address that the PDM messages are sent on.

Set the ECU Receive CAN ID Base to 0x4EC and ECU Receive Message Type to Sequential

Set the following Sensor Resources in Vehicle XX.

Pitch CAN 0 Offset 0

Roll CAN 0 Offset 2

Yaw CAN 0 Offset 4

Acceleration Lateral CAN 1 Offset 0

Acceleration Longitudinal CAN 1 Offset 2

Acceleration Vertical CAN 1 Offset 4

All Sensor calibrations should be CAN 2DP.1.0.

Voltage Reference is Absolute.
Attachments
M1 CAN Inputs.pdf
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 862 times
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby plohl on Thu May 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Thanks Stephen, I'll give that a go.
I do not have logging on the dash - it really is only a display.
I was using the 0x0500 base id to send the dash's acceleration data to the ecu for logging.
I have figured out my issue - I am using v2 GPA firmware(map/file?), and it does not include the Yaw, Roll and Pitch inputs - The v3 does though, so i'll move to that.

Thanks very much for your help!
cheers
plohl
plohl

Postby plohl on Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:03 am

So I finally got around to setting up this sensor and it caused a few issues I thought would be worth sharing, and two questions about setting up the sensor.

Firstly a massive shout out to Izze Racing, for being very helpful and patient whilst I stumbled my way through this.

I tried the recommendations from the post above.

Set the ECU Receive CAN ID Base to 0x4EC and ECU Receive Message Type to Sequential

Set the following Sensor Resources in Vehicle XX.

Pitch CAN 0 Offset 0

Roll CAN 0 Offset 2

Yaw CAN 0 Offset 4

Acceleration Lateral CAN 1 Offset 0

Acceleration Longitudinal CAN 1 Offset 2

Acceleration Vertical CAN 1 Offset 4

All Sensor calibrations should be CAN 2DP.1.0.

Voltage Reference is Absolute.

Unfortunately, the above settings didn’t work. My mate and I bought a sensor each and both have the GPA package on an M150, fortunately I also have a C125 dash that I could get the sensor working on – All connected via the same CAN Bus.

Initially I had the CAN ID wrong for the dash settings, but once I corrected that the sensor was working on the dash. On the ecu I was getting the following error – Invalid CAN Bus

So after some searching around, I found that the CAN receive help listed This value must be a multiple of 16.

Using excel to try and figure out what was going on with the hexadecimal. Excel has a number of useful functions for converting to and from hex, dec, and binary. I used the HEX2DEC function to create the below table, showing HEX, Decimal and Decimal/16 – unfortunately the default channel for the IMU 4EC, and the default for my sensor (because two sensors were purchased at the same time) 4EE are not divisible by 16.

In the end, I have the IMU working on the ECU, via the dash. So the sensor data is received via the dash on 4EE and 4EF, then sent back to the ECU via 7F0. I need the sensor back to the ECU for logging. The new v2 IMU from Izze Racing allows the user to set the CAN ID.

I still have two questions though...

If I am understanding CAN correctly, and the way the M1 receives it, if I was to set the base ID to 4E0 – which is divisible by 16. The M150 would still not be able to receive a message on 4EC, because the software allows you to go to a maximum of 4E7 for data – by setting CAN 7 offset x?

The Pitch, Roll and Yaw channels do not have a calibration selection, so you can’t select CAN 2DP.1.0 as suggested. You have to set up a table. I think I read somewhere that it should be 1 mV = 1 bit, so I think the calibration would be something like...

Code: Select all
V     -2.5   0   +2.5
*/s   -245   0   +245
cheers
plohl
plohl

Postby MalcolmG on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:51 am

Despite what the help file says, you can actually use a base address that is divisible by 8 rather than 16. I have done exactly this to get an IZZE IMU to work on an M150; so you use a base address of 0x4E8 to access the range 0x4E8-0x4EF
MalcolmG
Pro User

Postby adrian on Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:09 am

Malcolm is right, the help has an error, it should say divisible by 8 not 16 I've added this to our bug tracking system.

The other thing is you can change the base address of the Izze Racing devices to anything you want, their datasheets detail how to do this (you will need a device that can transmit custom messages such as a MoTeC Dash).

You are correct about the 1 bit = 1mV part. The IMU sends 0.1deg/s per bit so you end up with the table below:
Attachments
Yaw Sensor.png
Yaw Sensor.png (14.12 KiB) Viewed 15270 times
adrian
MoTeC

Postby plohl on Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:32 pm

Oh that's great! I'll give that 4E8 and that calibration a go.

Unfortunately we have the V1 IMU which can't have the base id changed. The new V2 can though.

Thanks!
cheers
plohl
plohl

Return to M1 ECUs