M800 back-up features

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

M800 back-up features

Postby BMWTuner on Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:34 am

Hello,

I would like to confirm if there is an back-up feature at M hundred series ECU. Into OEM ECU, when lost cam sensor signal, the engine still run using only crank speed, migrating from sequential ignition firing to wasted spark. Same approach for fuel (sequential -> batch).

I would like to confirm if there is this kind of feature into MoTec (automatic Ref/Sync on-fly adjustment in case of sensor failure).

I would like to build an robust setup following OEM protection, so, only will stop the engine if lost crank speed signal:
Two routines that I would like to add:
1.Lost cam signal -> Wasted spark, but running full performance
2.Lost temperature sensors signal -> Safe mode system, limited output

There is any routine setup like this into M Hundred series?

Thank you in advance,

Matheus
BMWTuner

Re: M800 back-up features

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:09 am

Hi Matheus,

Do you already have the Mx00 ecu? or are you looking at purchasing the ECU for a project that you have upcoming?

The reason for asking is that the M1 series of ECU's have these protections and more built into the firmware. The Mx00 ECU's do have some protections like this, but not to the level of the M1.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby BMWTuner on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Hello Dean,

Thank you for reply.
I already have several customers running with M hundred series ecu, so, I would like to implement it into running projects.
For sure new projects is also welcome, so, I will consider your advice of M1 for next building.

But, you mention that M hundred has some protections, could inform more details about it?
BMWTuner

Postby Blu302 on Mon May 13, 2019 10:54 am

Matheus,

I am running an M52TU25B with an M800.

The temp sensors have a setting you set what they default to if they go outside your specified ranges.

i.e. 0.2-4.5V range operating, 100degC fault temp setting(if running a temp sensor).

I will trial the removal of the cam sensor used for sync to see if it keeps running.

Blu302
BMW E46 M52TUB25 w/ cams, headers, exhaust, CAI
Blu302

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon May 13, 2019 11:24 am

Hi Matheus,

A lot of the reference modes in the Mx00 ECU's will, once they are synced up, keep synchronised if the sync sensor is lost. This only applies to modes that use a fixed sync position sensor, modes that use the camshaft sensor on variable cams will not retain sync.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs