C1XX Auxiliary Outputs

D153, D175, C125, C127, C185 and C187 forum

Re: C1XX Auxiliary Outputs

Postby 01-0041 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:49 pm

adrian wrote:I'm not sure I understand the problem. You have the output active when the input is inactive (grounding the module when the pedal is not pressed) and then deactivate the output when the pedal is pressed (open circuit output when pedal is pressed).

I have never used these modules before but I would be surprised if the approx 1mA that could be drawn through the 10k pullup in the open condition could cause an issue.

Adrian,

I went ahead and tested the outputs on my ABS module and it works! I was a bit hesitant to try it since I was seeing voltage when I didn't want to. Since the module was compromised I didn't really have much to loose. ;-)

Thank you for the information!!
01-0041

Postby adrian on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:03 pm

If you were to measure the voltage on that pin now that it is connected to the module you will probably find that it will be pretty close to zero. You will only measure 12V when there is no load.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby 01-0041 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:09 am

adrian wrote:If you were to measure the voltage on that pin now that it is connected to the module you will probably find that it will be pretty close to zero. You will only measure 12V when there is no load.

Adrian,

That's how this whole thing started - measuring with no load. I was using a multimeter to verify the outputs before plugging into the Teves MK60 unit. I'd see voltage in various states so I thought it wouldn’t work.

After reading your post I went home and plugged everything in - since the harness was already complete. After configuring the outputs I watched the status flag via a BMW scan tool and they worked as desired.
01-0041

Postby Herrubermensch on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:30 am

the_bluester wrote:If it is coming from a keypad, do you mean a keypad attached to a PDM? You can bring the button press directly into the dash over CAN but in general I found it easier to just have the PDM send the button status over CAN along with other messages to the dash.

Following up on this point: I see how to bring wired input status from PDM into my C125, as those are part of the standard messages. But I do not see how to bring CAN input status from PDM into my C125. Would you mind elaborating? I find it very frustrating in the dash software that there is not keypad channel template!

Thank you!

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Postby adrian on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:55 am

You can transmit any channel you like from the PDM to the Dash by setting up the CAN outputs. You then just build a template in the Dash to receive the channels. There are a number of webinars on our website here that show you how to configure CAN messaging.

Otherwise you can read the messages from the keypad directly into the Dash with the below template. Just remember that this is just the momentary presses from the keypad, if you setup functions in the PDM to make them toggle or anything else then you will need to send these channels to the Dash via the above method.
Attachments
Grayhill Keypad Button Rx.CC8
(8.34 KiB) Downloaded 812 times
adrian
MoTeC

Postby Herrubermensch on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:16 am

adrian wrote:You can transmit any channel you like from the PDM to the Dash by setting up the CAN outputs. You then just build a template in the Dash to receive the channels. There are a number of webinars on our website here that show you how to configure CAN messaging.

Otherwise you can read the messages from the keypad directly into the Dash with the below template. Just remember that this is just the momentary presses from the keypad, if you setup functions in the PDM to make them toggle or anything else then you will need to send these channels to the Dash via the above method.

Got it. Thanks very much. I'm familiar with how to configure custom CAN messaging, I just thought there must be something in a template somewhere I was missing for this. Only way to do it is custom. One would think that would not be the case, but oh well! Thanks again.

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Postby adrian on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:35 am

Only way to do it is custom. One would think that would not be the case, but oh well!

I'm not sure what you mean, the template I linked to will read the keypad directly into the Dash. It just won't read any custom functions you build into PDM.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby Herrubermensch on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:08 pm

adrian wrote:
Only way to do it is custom. One would think that would not be the case, but oh well!

I'm not sure what you mean, the template I linked to will read the keypad directly into the Dash. It just won't read any custom functions you build into PDM.

Understood and appreciated! But most of my keypad functions are toggle, not momentary, so apparently the only way to do that is through the PDM with a custom CAN template. My point was simply one would think that Motec dash software would have easy keypad templates built in, with existing channels for "15-button keypad, Button 1" or at least for "PDM CAN Input 1" for the status of CAN inputs to the PDM. Regardless, greatly appreciate the assist!

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi Peter,

What are you specifically wanting to have the Dash log out of the PDM?

Are you wanting to have the button Presses recorded? or are you wanting to see the outcome of those button presses being transmitted to the Dash?

If it is the former, then the template that Adrian provided allows for that to happen, the Dash will log any of the Keypad button presses that are made, if those channels are logged. However, they will only be logged as a button press, the toggling function is done in the PDM, not the Keypad.

If you want the Function status logged, then you will have to create a custom CAN Transmit template as we have no idea of what functions will be developed for usage in the PDM. The only way that we could have done this is through the use of a standard template and to lock down the functions that are available in the PDM so that they fit into the template.

The Output Status, Voltage, Current and Load channels are transmitted to the Dash and M1 through existing templates.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Herrubermensch on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:37 pm

SDean wrote:Hi Peter,

What are you specifically wanting to have the Dash log out of the PDM?

Are you wanting to have the button Presses recorded? or are you wanting to see the outcome of those button presses being transmitted to the Dash?

If it is the former, then the template that Adrian provided allows for that to happen, the Dash will log any of the Keypad button presses that are made, if those channels are logged. However, they will only be logged as a button press, the toggling function is done in the PDM, not the Keypad.

If you want the Function status logged, then you will have to create a custom CAN Transmit template as we have no idea of what functions will be developed for usage in the PDM. The only way that we could have done this is through the use of a standard template and to lock down the functions that are available in the PDM so that they fit into the template.

The Output Status, Voltage, Current and Load channels are transmitted to the Dash and M1 through existing templates.

Hi Stephen. I was just thinking about a standard message transmit template for the PDM and standard receive template for dashes for the status of CAN PDM inputs of all types, mirroring the standard message templates for transmitting and receiving the status of wired PDM inputs. I get the point that Adrian's template does that for momentary keypad button presses, and I now see what you are saying about transmitting functions--the only way to do that would be to lock down the functions in the PDM. It's easy enough to customize transmit and receive messages on a function-by-function basis. It's just a natural thing for someone going through the software and seeing templates for the transmission and receipt of the status of wired PDM inputs to think that there should be similar templates for the transmission and receipt of the status of CAN PDM inputs.

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Previous

Return to Colour displays