Strategies requiring brake status

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Strategies requiring brake status

Postby bdinnerv on Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:57 am

Hi All,

I am in the final stages of documenting all my pin outs, sensors etc and at present have a M880, CDL3, DBW4 and a couple of PDM15's.

I have 1 spare AV input on my M880 and have specced my front and rear brake pressure sensors to go to the CDL3 for logging purposes as it does not make sense from a maintenace / logic point of view to put one of them to the M880 and 1 to the CDL just so I can log the data.

Can anyone suggest a scenario / ECU strategy where it would be benificial for the ECU to know the status of the brakes? I have clutch pressure coming into the ECU which will allow for either pressure or binary input (via a table) into strategies like gear change blip etc but no strategy immediatly comes to mind where visibility of brake status would help - can anyone suggest any that would benifit from brake status and if so I will route front brakes to the ECU and leave rear on the CDL.

Cheers,

Ben
Its not the speed that kills, its the sudden stop at the end
bdinnerv

Re: Strategies requiring brake status

Postby gtihk on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:42 pm

In a car with manual transmission, what would you also do while braking?
Heel/toe?
Try to start engine?
Change engine running modes?
gtihk

Postby Sean on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:15 am

Brake pressure can be used in throttle blipping strategy, for example brake pressure needing to be over certain pressure for blip to operate.
Sean

Postby bdinnerv on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:03 pm

Sean wrote:Brake pressure can be used in throttle blipping strategy, for example brake pressure needing to be over certain pressure for blip to operate.

Thanks Sean, downshift blipping was one that has come to mind over the last couple of days, use it combined with other inputs to determine when a downshift is happening and when to blip.
bdinnerv

Postby Sean on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:05 pm

bdinnerv wrote:
Sean wrote:Brake pressure can be used in throttle blipping strategy, for example brake pressure needing to be over certain pressure for blip to operate.

Thanks Sean, downshift blipping was one that has come to mind over the last couple of days, use it combined with other inputs to determine when a downshift is happening and when to blip.

Exactly. In the particular application I have in mind, the blips at racing speeds are way too severe for just tootling around. That being said it's easy enough to send brake pressures over can.

Have you got clutch pressure going to the ecu?
Sean

Postby bdinnerv on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Sean wrote: That being said it's easy enough to send brake pressures over can.

Have you got clutch pressure going to the ecu?

I was of the impression that the MXXX series couldn't process CAN data in functions?

And yes, have clutch pressure going to ECU already. Just have 1 spare input and trying to figure out if I should wire front brake pressure into it and leave rear brake going to the CDL3 (for logging only).
bdinnerv

Postby Sean on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:14 pm

Send the brake pressures to the CDL would be my choice. Send by can as required.
Sean

Postby Sean on Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:21 pm

If you've a spare av, driver trim dials are always useful
Sean

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs