Comparing the M130 to the M400

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

Re: Comparing the M130 to the M400

Postby mr2andy on Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:59 pm

Converted the M400 to M130 and got a base tune yesterday at the shop. The M1 tune software is definitely state of the art interface and it's much better comparing to the old ECU manager.

My comment earlier about the configuration is just probably my understanding between the old ECU manager vs and M1 tune. After playing with it yesterday, I'm slowly getting a hang of it.

Now, I do have 1 comment about the "Licensing". The M130 was purchased a while back with the GPR license. We ran into trouble when we try to load the latest GPR package into the ECU only to be told by M1 tune that our GPR license is outdated and required a new license.

I thought we could just go online and just download the latest license in order to load the latest package and turns out we had to call Motec in order to issue the latest GPR license.

I would assume that since I have purchased the GPR license, I should be able to update the latest GPR package at anytime.

This is definitely nick picking but truly is inconvenient.

Otherwise, I like the M1 and is looking forward at completing the tune with it.
mr2andy

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:11 am

Hi,

This licensing issue is being worked on.

The resolution requires a major reworking of the licensing system, so it will not be happening until we do our next major update of the GP Packages.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby mr2andy on Tue May 01, 2018 1:42 am

Hello SDean,
thanks for responding. Maybe what Motec can do now is to create a master list of ownership of M1 + Packages and automatically email the license out to the registered email address.

Those license are "coded" with the serial number so even if the person who received it doesn't have the unit anymore, they won't be able to use the license anyway.

Reason I said is luckily it was a Friday which we can ping Motec, has it been on the weekend, the tune session will have to be called off.

Just my two cents.

Cheers
Andy
mr2andy

Postby David Ferguson on Tue May 01, 2018 3:24 am

Personally, I think it would be better if when M1 Tune was connected to an ECU and the internet, it was a to query MoTeC to check for any license updates. Then no matter where the ECU goes it's available to be updated 24/7 by anyone connected to it.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue May 01, 2018 9:43 am

It will most likely be that a licence becomes perpetual, and the only time that a new licence needs to be sent to the M1 if there is a change to the licence, such as adding another Package to the M1.

This will mean that when a new Firmware version is released, there will not be a need to re-licence the M1 to use it.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Previous

Return to M1 ECUs