Error no sync signal but there is sync signal

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Error no sync signal but there is sync signal

Postby farides on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:21 am

Hi there,

I'm working on MoTeC m800 fit into Mazda 3 (2009) 1.6L MZR Z6 engine.

I'm facing problem with ref/sync for this engine where "Error no sync signal" keep coming up even though there is sync signal when I did ref/sync capture (refer attached).

It running with OEM trigger wheel, on crank (36-2-2-2 tooth) and on cam sensor (6 tooth uneven). I believe it is the same as Mazda MX-5 2006 trigger pattern.

Below are the setup,
Ref/sync mode: 44
Crank ref teeth: 36
Tooth ratio: Not applicable
Crank index position: 550
Ref sensor type: 1 (3 wires)
Ref sensor edge polarity: 1
Ref sensor trigger voltage: 0
Sync sensor type: 1 (3 wires)
Sync sensor edge polarity: 0
Sync sensor trigger voltage: 0

I've done resetting the error while cranking, but the error still keep coming up. There were no spark at all.
I've sent the file to MoTeC Australia too, however according to Mark, the setup is correct.

Anything else I'm missing?

Appreciate for your kind advise or maybe there is anyone here experience this kind of problem.

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
mazda - firststart.rsc2
(64.45 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
farides

Re: Error no sync signal but there is sync signal

Postby David Ferguson on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:56 am

I notice that the signal voltage in the ref/sync capture doesn't quite reach 0 volts (0.18).

Are you sure the sensor ground for the sensors goes to the pin B16 (0V Eng)?.

What about the ECU ground Pin A10 and A11? Are those connected to the a good ground ( Engine Block, Battery Negative, or solid Chasiss ground in decreasing preference).

One thing you might try - set the sensor type to 1 (magnetic), then set the trigger voltage to 1V for both ref & sync.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby farides on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for reply.

We have checked and added extra grounding. Gnd pins connection are all correct.

I tried play around with setup,

Ref - magnetic (signal become too small, refer ref/sync capture)
Voltage trigger - 0.8V
Sync - magnetic (but signal look good)
Voltage trigger - 1.0V

There is no Error at all right now. But still no spark and error on ref/sync synchronize not synced.

Anything else I can check?
I'm totally out of idea what else need to be done.

Thanks again.
Attachments
mazda - afteradddig2test.rsc2
(64.45 KiB) Downloaded 816 times
farides

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:01 am

Based on that Ref/Sync capture, I would say the reason you didn't get any errors is that you effectively had no signal at all, so there should have been no RPM, fuel pump trigger, etc when you were cranking.

If you wanted to continue the experiment (setting the levels while specifying magnetic type sensor) then it looks like you will need to wire-in a pull-up resistor (say 2K - 4k ohms) between either the 5V or 8V power supply and the ref signal.
You could also just set the Ref signal to Hall-type, and leave the Sync at Magnetic with the 1v threshold.

This is probably unrelated, but have you used Utilities->Test Outputs... to test the ignition outputs? Are you using the original Mazda coils (which have built-in ignitors), or have you changed to an inductive coisl (which would require ignitors -- you would not be the first M800 users to miss this).
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:33 am

Another thought. Have you tried disconnecting all sensors except Ref & Sync they doing the ref/sync capture? You could have a wiring problem with either your 5V or ground to one of your sensors (again, a not-uncommon error), and that could result in the ground and/or power not being correct for your critical ref/sync sensors.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby farides on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks again David,

No error but actually RPM and all other sensors (oil temperature, water temperature etc) reading are there.

I've done test output on both injector and ignition. There were sparks at all coils. OEM Mazda coil for this car model do not have in-built ignitor instead I'm using Honda K20A ignition coil. But when cranking, there was no spark at all.

For now, i think, better to change setup by setting the Ref signal to Hall-type, and leave the Sync at Magnetic with the 1v threshold. As well as to try to disconnect all other sensors.

Do think it has something to do with in-correct CRiP number?
farides

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs