Wiring a engine kill/isolator with M150

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

Wiring a engine kill/isolator with M150

Postby Hags86 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:41 am

Hi There

I'm looking at a Cartek XR battery isolator/kill switch and wanted some guidance on how to connect to the M150. The XR has high-current MOSFET to isolate the battery from chassis ground and sends a +12v output designed for connection to the ECU as an 'enable' signal. If this signal is cut it relies on the ECU to kill the engine.

Where would I wire this 12V enable signal on the M150? My understanding is +12v engine should run, 0V engine should stop.

The car is a Toyota 86 with M150 and Motec adaptor loom. There is lots of OEM wiring etc I'd prefer not yo hack.

Thanks
Hags86

Re: Wiring a engine kill/isolator with M150

Postby David Ferguson on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:15 am

I use the Cartek disconnect with my M130 in a race car application. I feed both the CarTek enable and the Ignition switch (the Run/Stop) switch to a relay (one is the trigger, and one is the switch input), the output from the relay connects to a UDig input that is configured as a driver switch -- this driver switch is assigned to the Engine Run Switch.

So the engine can run when both the ignition and the Cartek disconnect are active, and the engine will stop if either of them goes to 0V.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Re: Wiring a engine kill/isolator with M150

Postby Hags86 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks David

That could work. the Engine - Run Switch is already being used by the OEM push-to-start button. I could place a relay inline with this and use the Cartek isolator output to enable the coil on the relay.

Cheers
Hags86

Return to M1 ECUs