m400 as data logger on oem ecu

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

m400 as data logger on oem ecu

Postby snake on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:52 pm

hello, is it possible to use an m400 as data logger / sniffer on an oem ecu. i want to see what my 3sge vvti engine uses of ignition timing and cam timing. how do wires go
snake

Re: m400 as data logger on oem ecu

Postby David Ferguson on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:20 am

Possible -- probably yes -- easy -- no. This would be non-trivial project, that might be better accomplished with an ODB-II scanner/logger. that could get the info direct from the ECU.

I would probably try using something like a storage scope so that you could compare the ignition timing to the crank position --

To get the CAM position you would need to capture the Crank and CAM position sensors and workout the angle change.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Re: m400 as data logger on oem ecu

Postby MarkMc on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 am

Hello,
I have done this before. If you wire the M400 up with the ref/sync/cam position and set it up the ECU can log the cam position as if it was controlling it. I have even done the same thing for the ignition timing by setting it up as cam position......a few minutes with the timing light to get it matching and you are relatively OK.

The thing you must remember is that the cam position and the ignition timing are a bit more complicated than a 3D map and they will vary a fair bit with different driving conditions, coolant/air temps and obviously knock. But it's probably a good start.
MarkMc

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs