m400 gps readout to gauge using can

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

m400 gps readout to gauge using can

Postby born riding on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:53 am

i have a M400 marine ecu with lots of extras. i need to connect to gauge using can cable. i want to have the GPS info readout on the gauge. this gauge connects by can: BTIgauges
these were created for the motec M1, but manufacturer said he can configure it to be used on my M400.
i just want to make sure i can get it to work. once i get gauge do i just plug it in and or do i need to program the can output while engine is running? hoping it will connect like other displays. total newbie, any help is appreciated
thanks
Attachments
motec-screens_orig.png
motec-screens_orig.png (504.42 KiB) Viewed 17041 times
born riding

Re: m400 gps readout to gauge using can

Postby Stephen Dean on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:06 am

Hi,

With CAN, the device that receives the data is responsible for translating the data that is presented to it from the transmitting device, so if the gauges have been setup by the manufacturer to receive the standard CAN data from the M400, then all of the configuration that will need to be done on the M400 is to turn on the standard CAN messaging. This does not need the engine to be running, you just need to be connected to the ECU.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby born riding on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:32 am

awesome, thanks sdean! that makes much more sense than what i was thinking
What info do i need to give him so he can make the gauge to receive the gps signal?
i know they have a system for the M1, so they must be familiar with motec. he asked for details all i really have for info is:
M400 marine ecu
10hz motec gps unit
1mbit/sec communication
can to gauge cable needed
what else does he need?
thanks
born riding

Postby Stephen Dean on Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:02 pm

The easiest way for the manufacturer of the gauges to find the required CAN messaging is to download one of our Dash Managers and open the Hundred Series CAN templates, all of the data and channels that are transmitted out of the Hundred Series ECU's is available from there. They can also add a GPS template to see the information that our displays receive from them.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby born riding on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:35 am

considering the following:
The instrument cluster on the Yamaha WaveRunner is controlled via a data adaptor. The KTC (KLine
to CAN) receives CAN messages from the M400, and then transmits K-Line messages to control
the instrument cluster. The CAN messages required are set in the M400 configuration as a custom data set and should not be changed. They also require a fixed CAN address which should not be
changed from that provided in the M400 Plug-In start file.

I am using the KTC and according to the above has a custom data sets and can address should not be changed. would this then be different than a standard can address layout? does it not matter? opened ADL2 dash manager v4.51i4
i can't seem to find the hundred series can templates. gonna look at another manager to see if i can find it.
born riding

Postby born riding on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:34 am

i opened another dash manager and still same issue. is there another location i could find one? does it matter if i have replaced some of the stock sensors, like steering pressure with a jet pump psi sensor...... don't think it will, but wanted to give all info i have.
manufacturer asked 16 bits? i told him yes
he asked about a multiplier. i don't know
and if the address is enumerated (he said they usually are not, buts wants me to check.

i am going to keep looking, thanks
born riding

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:11 am

Hi,

If you install one of the Colour Dash Managers, then they will have the Mx00 CAN templates.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby born riding on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:27 am

i put my motec away while saving to get parts again. it looks like i have to connect my ecu to the comp to get that option to be available on the dash manager. i have my ski in 10,000 pieces. can i just hook my loom to the ecu and use the utc to communicate ecu to to comp, using external power? i have my vehicle wiring harness but not motor or sensors. would this be ok to hook up? would it work? i want to have the gauge made before assembly so can install at appropriate time. thanks, barrett
born riding

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:40 am

Hi,

You can open the Dash Manager to get the information out of the templates without needing to have any hardware connected, you just have to create a new config based on the Mx00 ECU's.

This is done by opening the Dash Manager,
Click on File | New,
Select M400 M600 M800 as the template and click OK,
Click on Connections | Communications...
Click on the CAN 2 tab,
The MoTeC M800 (V3.3+) Set 1 Data set will be there.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby adrian on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:50 pm

What information are you actually trying to send the gauges? If it is GPS Lat/Long then you will need to configure a custom CAN dataset in the ECU to transmit that information. It is not sent out in the default CAN output stream.

The below image shows you one way to set it up and what the message structure will be.
GPS Data Set.png
GPS Data Set.png (16.23 KiB) Viewed 16960 times

GPS Lat/Long are signed channels sent in degrees, decimal minutes. This is different to what you would see in the logged data which is decimal degrees.
adrian
MoTeC

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs