m400 with expander help with functions

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

m400 with expander help with functions

Postby born riding on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:02 am

i have been working on a build for the past few years and it has come to the point of needing a possible expander for my motec m400. it has been difficult to get professional help with my set up. i was wondering if someone could tell me if what i am trying to do is possible.

I have a motec M400 marine unit installed on a 2012 yamaha FZR. i have converted this motor to a turbo.
we have removed the steering sensor, speed wheel, oil pressure and reverse switch from the loom and have replaced them with a jet pump pressure sensor, boost control, gps,
we have wideband sensor, anti lag, fuel pressure, air temp

because my free inputs are all being used i want to add an expander E888 or E816 probably E816. i want to make sure i will be able to use the expander unit to perform the following desired functions

steering nozzle trim function with external gauge. i want to use the new yamaha electric trim with my motec. these do not need to be logged just function. 3 way switch up, off, down. it has position sensor and limiter so i guess that would be another input as well. not sure if better to run position sensor to motec then have that put a signal out to an external gauge, or have the sensor on the motor connected directly to a gauge is there a way to control this using motec?

need motec to send its gps signal (logging signal?) to external gauge!

So to sum it up can i add the E816 to my M400 marine unit on my FZR and have it control nozzle trim position (with external gauge reading)
and can i have my motec GPS read on an external gauge?

any help would be very much appreciated. if anymore info is required i will be happy to provide it.
thank you very much for your time. Barrett
born riding

Re: m400 with expander help with functions

Postby David Ferguson on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:52 am

Does the external gauge communicate over the CAN bus at 1Mbit/sec? Can it be configured to receive arbitrary info such as the the GPS info? Are you talking about a MoTeC display or dash/logger?

The E816 just allows 16 additional analog voltage inputs, and a couple of digital PWM outputs. It doesn't do any additional processing or communications on it's own. All that happens in the M400. It must communicate at 1 Mbit/sec over the CAN bus. If you have another CAN device (i.e. your "gauge") then it needs to be flexible enough to operate and interpret the data in the format the M400 can send.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby born riding on Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:23 am

yes the gauge i have in mind does read the signal over CAN, but will have to confirm rate.
born riding

Postby born riding on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:55 am

i have started a new thread for this gps readout issue. this thread will continue on for actuator control. thanks
born riding

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs