C125 w/ video input

D153, D175, C125, C127, C185 and C187 forum

C125 w/ video input

Postby tepid1 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:21 am

Hey folks,

I have an early release C125 and after speaking with my dealer it seems as though I can't get display creator and use a camera as an input. My question is, what really changed that doesn't allow for this? I don't have the USB port, if that matters.

Any chance Motec will do an exchange so I can be a happy customer? ;)
tepid1

Re: C125 w/ video input

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:41 am

That seems unbelievable that you can't get Display Creator. I haven't heard of any units that didn't support that. However, I do understand that the video input was not tested on early units, so may or may not work.

But I believe the only way to find out is get a display creator license and try it.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby tepid1 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:22 am

I can get display creator, but I can't use video input. For me, that's the only reason to even get display creator as video input isn't available without it.
tepid1

Postby SprinterTRD on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:34 am

The early C125's did not have the hardware to process the video input and cannot be updated.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby adrian on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:38 pm

As Sprinter has said, any C12* product that doesn't have the USB connector will not support video input. The hardware required is simply not on the board.

The C18* products however do have the hardware pre-USB. But as video input wasn't a feature at the time no testing of the video hardware was done during production. As such, we cannot guarantee the video input will work correctly on any pre-USB C18* dash.

We currently have a version of Dash Manager going through Alpha testing that will allow you to configure video input (on compatible dashes) without the need for Display Creator. This will allow full screen video only based on conditions you set. If you want to configure the size/position of the video and display gauges at the same time you will need Display Creator. This software is expected to go to public Beta release in approximately 1 month.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby the_bluester on Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:27 pm

When was a USB port added? I have a C127 which was bought in March 2016 and never noted a USB port on it. Even the current spec sheet does not make mention of it.

Is it something which was added very recently? It would be a pity if mine does not support it as a camera input would be very handy, a reversing camera on the race car could be a godsend when you come in off track sitting very low in the car and with a HANS device on!
the_bluester

Postby adrian on Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:35 pm

The USB port was added progressively across the models from April this year on wards.

I'm not sure why the user manuals haven't been updated, I have asked for this to be sorted.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby the_bluester on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Well damn. I keep just missing upgrades with tech stuff with hardware updates happening just after I buy stuff. No great matter this time but it would have been handy.
the_bluester

Postby Hipsi on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:46 pm

adrian wrote:We currently have a version of Dash Manager going through Alpha testing that will allow you to configure video input (on compatible dashes) without the need for Display Creator. This will allow full screen video only based on conditions you set. If you want to configure the size/position of the video and display gauges at the same time you will need Display Creator. This software is expected to go to public Beta release in approximately 1 month.

That's great to hear Adrian, it answers a question I've been meaning to ask since it's specified in the 2016 catalogue that it is only non-full screen video that requires Display Creator, but is inferred otherwise in the dash's datasheet. I must admit from that I was expecting to find an option in Dash Manager for full screen video but since I've only just started looking at configuring my C125 today I presumed I just hadn't come across it yet.
Hipsi

Postby the_bluester on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:37 pm

Well, I have to admit to feeling a bit sheepish. My C127 DOES have the USB port.

I have never seen the back of anyone else's dash to compare and given when I bought it there was no mention of a USB input, I took the port cover to be a pressure equalising valve (It looks just like the one on a travel case that I have) I paid in late March, mine must have been one of the first.

Looking forward to the Beta release of the software so I can have a play with it.

EDIT: The current C127 race logging kit data sheet was updated and mentions the USB logging and video input. It specifically mentions a composite video input but there is no visible input nor mention of it in the wiring diagrams. Is the composite in part of an I/O loom? The only other potential "Ports" on the rear of the dash are both covered with what looks like "Warranty void if removed" covers.
the_bluester

Next

Return to Colour displays