Single Cylinder Setup

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Single Cylinder Setup

Postby dmcgahey on Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi guys,

Been having a lot of issues of late with moving to a Motec M400 ECU.

I have a 2004 KTM 525 EXC engine that is being used in a single seater racecar. I have made a custom 12-1 trigger wheel to attach to the flywheel and getting a very clean reference signal with a magnetic sensor.

The issue I am having is getting the engine to run again, and the issues is I do not know what configuration to into the ref/sync setup. I don't have a sync signal that is reliable so was hoping to run with just a ref.

Any suggestions would be incredibly helpful.

Cheers David
dmcgahey

Re: Single Cylinder Setup

Postby Sean on Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:17 pm

FSAE car? Have you searched the FSAE.com forum, I'm sure that fitting a sync sensor can and has been done. I can't think of any mode it will run in with that trigger wheel on the crank and no sync, others may have more idea than I.
Sean

Postby harky on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:08 pm

Ok , I am ready it be shot down in flames if I have this wrong
Can you tell the ECU it is a 2 stroke , from the missing tooth you can do crip , ( provided compression is less than 360 deg after the missing tooth ) :roll: you end up with wasted spark , and injection twice as much/ often , but adjusted accordingly ?
How am I doing ?
harky

Postby Scott@FP on Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:33 am

No sync sensor required if set up as a 2 stroke, waste spark and two injections per cycle.
Scott@FP

Postby Sean on Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:59 pm

Scott@FP wrote:No sync sensor required if set up as a 2 stroke, waste spark and two injections per cycle.

What mode would you use with that trigger wheel running as a 2 stroke Scott? Does the negative mode number work for all modes? I couldn't figure which mode could work, though my knowledge of the 2 stroke modes is negligible :roll:
Sean

Postby Scott@FP on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:03 am

Try REf mode 6 (one missing once a cycle)

# of cyl = -1

Missing tooth not near TDC/BDC

Keep in mind the waste spark dwell time overhead and high revving (8K +)engines, will work best with CDi.

The ref/sync utility can be useful for pre determining crip if you can estimate sensor and tooth positions.
Scott@FP

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs