Test advance strange issue

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Test advance strange issue

Postby Wolf_Tm250 on Thu May 05, 2016 9:13 am

Hi,
something weird happens on an M400 I'm tuning.
During CRIP testing, i put 15° BTDC on the idle cell and all the adiacent ones, so that Ignition Advance dBTDC was at 15° and Ignition Trims at Zero (Engine Temp at 80°, etc... no corrections)
Then i pointed the crank pulley with a timing light and confirmed it was at 15°, that is to say the CRIP is correct.
The weird thing is that as I open the Test Advance page at Ignition/Crank Index Position, with Test Advance = 15°, the lambda get leaner (better combustion) and i get 20° with the timing light!
What's happening?!
Thanks
Wolf_Tm
Toyota Celica GT-four ST205 - full TTE/WRC hardware
Parma - Italy
http://www.youtube.com/user/WolfTm250
Wolf_Tm250

Re: Test advance strange issue

Postby stevieturbo on Thu May 05, 2016 7:32 pm

During Crip test, does it not lock cylinder 1 to the test value, regardless of any other parameters elsewhere ?
stevieturbo

Postby Wolf_Tm250 on Thu May 05, 2016 11:23 pm

stevieturbo wrote:During Crip test, does it not lock cylinder 1 to the test value, regardless of any other parameters elsewhere ?

Hi Steve,
Yes, exactly...
In fact what I can't understand is why I have 5 degrees of difference between test advance = 15 and a 15 degrees idle cell (no compensations)...
Wolf_Tm
Parma - Italy
Wolf_Tm250

Postby David Ferguson on Fri May 06, 2016 12:47 am

We have to believe you that all compensations are 0. What about main trim? If you post the config, I'm sure someone will spot the flaw. If you're worried about some propriety map, just make a copy and zero that out before posting.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Wolf_Tm250 on Fri May 06, 2016 8:31 am

David Ferguson wrote:We have to believe you that all compensations are 0. What about main trim? If you post the config, I'm sure someone will spot the flaw. If you're worried about some propriety map, just make a copy and zero that out before posting.

MY FAULT.
All the compensations in the Ignition menu' were Zero, the Ignition Trim Channel displayed Zero... BUT I found some degrees compensation in Idle Ign Comp... very strange Trims' Channel was at Zero!
Wolf_Tm
Parma - Italy
Wolf_Tm250

Postby Wolf_Tm250 on Wed May 11, 2016 7:15 am

Wolf_Tm250 wrote:
David Ferguson wrote:We have to believe you that all compensations are 0. What about main trim? If you post the config, I'm sure someone will spot the flaw. If you're worried about some propriety map, just make a copy and zero that out before posting.

MY FAULT.
All the compensations in the Ignition menu' were Zero, the Ignition Trim Channel displayed Zero... BUT I found some degrees compensation in Idle Ign Comp... very strange Trims' Channel was at Zero!

Not my fault. Must rectify myself.

Put all the Idle Ign Comp to Zero, but I still have a difference testing ignition values with timing light.
I discovered I have an Individual Ignition Trim cyl 1 (-7.8°) affecting the Ign Base Advance,
but problem is that ALL the individual ign trims are set to Zero!

What's happening?!
Any idea?

Thanks
Wolf_Tm
Parma - Italy
Wolf_Tm250

Postby Sean on Thu May 12, 2016 12:31 pm

I'm not saying this is your problem, but I have had this scenario multiple times......

1. You have the UTC connected and the ecu open for editing in ecu manager.
2. Battery voltage is low.
3. You then crank the engine and the current drain from the starter is enough to drop the voltage so the ecu shuts off momentarily.
4. This situation, in my experience, usually results in the ECU file becoming corrupted in weird ways. I have had it change all sorts of stuff totally at random.

Hope this makes sense.
Sean

Postby Wolf_Tm250 on Fri May 13, 2016 7:29 pm

Sean wrote:I'm not saying this is your problem, but I have had this scenario multiple times......

1. You have the UTC connected and the ecu open for editing in ecu manager.
2. Battery voltage is low.
3. You then crank the engine and the current drain from the starter is enough to drop the voltage so the ecu shuts off momentarily.
4. This situation, in my experience, usually results in the ECU file becoming corrupted in weird ways. I have had it change all sorts of stuff totally at random.

Hope this makes sense.

Seems a scary option!
How did you solve in these cases? Rewrite a map from beginning?
Thanks
Wolf_Tm
Parma - Italy
Wolf_Tm250

Postby Sean on Sat May 14, 2016 1:55 pm

Went back to a previous known good file and started from there. You can use compare mode in ecu manager and compare a good file to your current one and see what has changed, if anything.
Sean

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs