Hall effect sensors happy to partly run in hot engine oil?

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Hall effect sensors happy to partly run in hot engine oil?

Postby Chris Wilson on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:50 pm

I will need a Hall effect cam position sensor that will run, pick up side, in a hot engine oil environment and has provision to seal into or against a flat plate. I have used Bosch 0 232 103 022 sensors in the past, but these have been in fresh air. I am not sure whether they would like or even tolerate a hot, wet oily environment. I work on lots of 2JZ-GTE Supra twin turbo engines and these have 2 cam position sensors that pick up off pegs cast into the intake cam, and run bathed in hot oil on the engine side, within the cam box of the head. I think they are magnetic, not Hall effect though, and are rather big. They are also very expensive, new.

Has anyone any ideas for a Hall sensor that is happy with half of itself in hot oil, can be sealed to a flat surface, and is reasonably priced and easily sourced? Ford TDCi ones seem to look as if they are designed to run in oil, and are cheap. Are they Hall effect though? Connector plug and pin availability is also a thought! Thanks.
Chris Wilson

Re: Hall effect sensors happy to partly run in hot engine oi

Postby rsscotty on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:24 am

We use a Bosch 0232103057 (hall sensor) that gets oil splash and is in a high heat environment.
Used on a later model water cooled Porsche engine.
rsscotty

Postby stevieturbo on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:38 am

This is the cam sensor fitted to LS2 and onwards V8's

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190824414002? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I think Partsworldperformance keeps them in stock in UK, at a slightly higher price

It doesnt seal on the flat as such, but via the o-ring around the sensor and the hole it is in.

Crank sensor is of similar style

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/06-12-LS7-LS2 ... Swu4BVt-Xq
stevieturbo

Postby Chris Wilson on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:03 am

OK, thanks for the detailed info, I'll check them out, much appreciated!
Chris Wilson

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs