Setting up drive by wire on E46 M3, a few newb qns

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Setting up drive by wire on E46 M3, a few newb qns

Postby burkey001 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:04 pm

Morning folks,

I am in the midst of setting up an M800 and C127 on the motor out of an E46 M3, S54B32. This series of questions relate to DBW. I am using the internal DBW functionality, not a DBW4
I cannot see this question covered in seminars or manual, so here for help & expertise please.

Background
• I am retaining the factory drive by wire on the engine side, that is the OEM BMW throttle actuator (a combined unit of a TPS and a motor) and the TPS that's attached to the throttle butterflies.
• I am not using a factory pedal, I am using a Tilton floor mount with a Penny & Giles TPS280DP optical 4 wire sensor.
• I am using the MoTeC supplied BMW S54 start file.
• In order to get my unlock code for the DBW function I had to supply to Motec (via intermediaries) the details of these throttle bodies. I have the code but reading this thread http://www.motec.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3131I see that this person was supplied some additional configuration info (PID loop etc) which I don’t seem to have been supplied.

To best summarise my problem and related queries is this –
1. I am having trouble getting a reading from one setting within the DBW setting (“driver throttle closed” & “driver throttle open”
2. Querying the relationship between “driver throttle closed” / “driver throttle 2 closed” and the linked functions of “driver throttle open”/ “driver throttle 2 open”, "throttle position closed"/open and "throttle position 2 closed"/open
3. Querying whether I need a MoTeC supplied PID loop and additional config (per the thread listed above)

Observations
I started to set this up yesterday, setting up the 8 settings under throttle hi/lo. A screen shot shows my progress.
Starting with the engine side "throttle position closed"/open and "throttle position 2 closed"/open my observation of the engine side throttle positions is that they are reverse of each other. When I go to set "throttle position closed" it may come up as 8.2 and open is 80.7 (for example) and setting "throttle position 2 closed" basically gives me the reverse readings. So closed reads ~80 and open ~8.
• Question - Is this correct behaviour – for the readings to have more or less reverse polarity, for lack of better term, between the two?
• Question - Is so the ECU knows in which direction the throttle butterflies are moving.

Now, when I go to set up my throttle pedal, I can get readings for "driver throttle 2 closed" and open (circa 91.x and 28.x respectively) but I can't get a reading for "driver throttle closed" or open settings.

Assuming the sensor is wired correctly, the question has come up (between myself and the person who did the wiring) of the orientation of the readings obtained from this Penny & Giles pedal sensor with regards to the observed “reverse polarity” behaviour witnessed on the engine side. The sensor in use has 2 outputs and I am told both outputs ‘track clockwise’, could this by why I am not getting values for "driver throttle closed"?
• Question - Does this sensor need to be made to one sensor output reads clockwise and the other ‘anti clockwise’ (i.e. 0-100 for " setting #1" and 100-0 for "setting #2")? i.e. so it mimics the behaviour seen of the throttle bodies?

Last question, do I need some kind of PID loop / additional information in order to setup details within Functions / Drive By Wire ? (currently this is ‘as supplied’ with the MoTeC start file)

Attached is my current config file.

Thank you for any advice or input!

Burkey
Attachments
BMW e46 6 cyl M3 start with DBW switch to ground vanos- config load.e35
(72 KiB) Downloaded 896 times
burkey001

Re: Setting up drive by wire on E46 M3, a few newb qns

Postby burkey001 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:39 am

Just as a quick update here. It would definitely appear that my pedal position sensor has been incorrectly supplied, the usable range it reads from does not correlate to what is required, which explains why my TPD/TPD2 observed readings are screwy.

The ever helpful Mark from Motec gave some advice which has helped the TPS/TPS2 track together.

So we're closer..
burkey001

Re: Setting up drive by wire on E46 M3, a few newb qns

Postby lanikay on Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:43 pm

burkey001 wrote:Just as a quick update here. It would definitely appear that my pedal position sensor has been incorrectly supplied, the usable range it reads from does not correlate to what is required, which explains why my TPD/TPD2 observed readings are screwy.

The ever helpful Mark from Motec gave some advice which has helped the TPS/TPS2 track together.

So we're closer..

Hi, I'm also just starting out in this so I'm quite new in everything. I am and will be searching more threads regarding setting up and looking for tips from experienced as well as newbies. On that note, could you share some of the advices that Motec gave that helped you in your setup? Also did any of your questions get answered? Thanks.
lanikay

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs