CAN connectivity to PC for a PDM 30

Discussion and support for MoTeC Power Distribution Modules

CAN connectivity to PC for a PDM 30

Postby Sydney Chris on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:39 am

Have progressed with the wiring on a Cobra Coupe to the point I have a Motec PDM 30 connected to sufficient points to be able to run the engine and instruments.

The PDM is connected to a 15 button key pad on a single CAN bus which is a continuous wirng loom that is less than 2m in total length.

Ive completed an initial PDM configuration file, spliced in a 5 pin female CAN to USB connector (part #61059) adjacent the key pad plug and updated the PDM manager software from V1.7 as supplied with the parts, to V1.8.

I initially downloaded the latest USB driver from the motec web site then a 64 bit driver for Windows after being unable to get a software connection to the Keypad or have the PDM Manager recognize there was a PDM on the CAN bus.

Pins 25 / 26 at the PDM (CAN low / high are reading 1.9V - low and 3.1 V respectively). Power is currently run to the UTC fly lead and the CAN bus directly from the battery and pin 22 (at the PDM) has been connected to Ground. Both 12V suply and continuity to ground test ok.

After installing a 100R resistor about 1cm from the PDM connector across the CAN H/L lines I am able to connect to the keypad and download the configuration, but the PDM is 'not found' at any stage.

In entering the 10 digit serial number on the PDM without the ''-'', the software converts it to a new 5 digit number. Unsure whether the first or last five digits or all 10 in the serial number should be used..?

Look forward to your advice on diagnosis or tracing of potential faults.

With thanks

Chris
Sydney Chris

Re: CAN connectivity to PC for a PDM 30

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:43 pm

Hi Chris,

The UTC does not need a separate power supply to it as it is powered by the USB Bus on the computer, you only need the CAN Hi/Lo connected to the 5 pin connector. Do you have a resistor on each end of the bus?

The serial number is the last 5 digits in the 10 digit code, with the first five being the PDM Part number. So you should have a number like this 14103-xxxxx, with the xxxxx being the serial number. we also drop the leading zeros from the serial number within the setup, so if you have 00123, then the serial number that you would use is 123.

When you say that you can connect to the keypad and download the configuration, this is done through the PDM manager with the keypads that we sell, they are not setup for direct configuration. Do you have a keypad that was purchased from the US as they are different to here.

If you have the Mx00 or M84 ECU manager software running at the same time you try and connect to the PDM, you will not be able to connect as the ECU Manager software takes control of the UTC and locks out other connections.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Sydney Chris on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:26 pm

hi Stephen,

Thanks for the reply.

Noted re the power supply, however at present I cannot connect to the keypad without it, (I was advised by the auto electricuan that wired the dash that an external power supply would be required until the PDM was recognised as the CAN bus would be inactive up until that time).

I now have a 100R EOL resistor adjacent the PDM connector and the plug for the keypad.

Noted re the serial number with thanks.. will update in the Global Settings area in the PDM manager.

Re keypad configuration, its is connected and downloaded from the PDM manager V1.8. its a locally (AU) sourced keypad.

No other CAN devices are connected, and as far as Im aware the LS3 engine ECU is not connected to the 'Motec' CAN loom.

I have belled the CAN H / L wires, pin to pin, these are ok.

The UTC tail is connected to CAN H and L only between the PDM and the keypad.

PDM not is still 'not found' either or without the keypad plugged into the CAN.

Look forward to your advice.

With thanks

Chris
Sydney Chris

Postby tepid1 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:18 pm

Are you sure the PDM30 is getting power/ground and turning on?
tepid1

Postby Sydney Chris on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:25 pm

hi Tepid.. :)

Thanks for the reply. Yes.. I had 12V, with the correct voltage ranges on CAN L / H.

I did contact MoTec by phone.. walked through a couple of tests, pulled it out of the car and connected just comms, ground and 12V.. still no joy.

Its on its way back to Melbourne now for inspection.

Cheers

Chris
Sydney Chris

Postby Sydney Chris on Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Unit tested in VIC with no fault found.

Reconnected with the same wiring and software configuration BUT opened the PDM manager and attempted to connect BEFORE opening the configuration file on the PC.

The PDM connects fine... only now I cant get the keypad to connect..!!

Will have a another look in the morning, although I cant see any apparent error... CAN H / L connected with ground and NO power on the UTC lead.

Cheers

Chris
Sydney Chris

Postby Sydney Chris on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:16 pm

With thanks to Tech Support.. Set the output pin for the keypad power to PDM = Constant (true).. the keypad now has power.. :) Am working through the detail of the configuration file having mapped the functions and parent child relationships.
Sydney Chris

Return to PDM15 PDM16 PDM30 and PDM32